Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Default 3/6 6m blind steal

Here's a blind steal from tonight that we talked about in #sstakes and it was decided should be posted. Villain here is 50/13.8/1.1. We've tussled a few times during the session and I have developed enough intuition on him during the session to know that the flop check/raise is air.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: I am Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, I....
Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6m blind steal

If you know it's air, 100% certainly, either 3bet and go or check/raise the turn.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 PM

If he'll fold somehow, call, and raise XX turn since that'll be the best to make him think of a K here. Of course you could have a better feel for what would most likely get him to fold but that's going to be the most standard way of representing a King here.

On the other hand, I'd be raising more hands with High Card value here and less 9T offsuits so that when I did that and he had air, I have a significantly better chance of also having better then his air in addition.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 PM

totally fine, be prepared to play the turn well...

peace

john nickle
Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 PM

Just a caveat. I've tried both the 3bet/bet/bet line and the call/c-r/bet line and have been called by A high multiple times.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 PM

Well I mean it's knowing your opponent and your image (how you've been running, whether there is much fear of your showdowns etc). There's certain situations with certain opponents they are not folding and you're going to have to hit a pair or have the high card value, especially in the blinds battle.

I think with these opponents a 3-bet will usually tie them in more, but it doesn't mean that either line will work. These guys like to call and moving them off a hand even Ace High is often a bad practice.

This is why it's good to have the High Card initiative at least and have a solid chance of starting with the best hand here.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 PM

I would normally call, and check/fold turn unimproved, but I think that is now a leak. Should I be 3betting/turn raising this a large percentage of the time?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have developed enough intuition on him during the session to know that the flop check/raise is air

[/ QUOTE ]

that doesnt sound right - he doesnt have a huge aggression factor in the stats you give - sometimes its possible to have a great read based on the history of past encounters but i still think its more likely that he either liked this flop or has a hand with some promise that he simply doesnt want to fold

when you open raised 109o on the button and bet this flop you were bluffing - when your bluffs get raised option A is to fold - he is very likely to have the best hand and if you cant picture him folding before a showdown an aggro line is obviously spewing chips

peeling the flop and folding to a turn bet isnt an attractive line but probably turns a profit if you can gaurantee he doesnt do this with a king which is a common read for 3/6 players - 3 betting the flop and betting the turn or peeling and raising the turn is a plan but i dont think it should be a common plan in the 3/6 game when you have no showdown potential

its worth remembering that a normal winning strategy is going to involve folding to bluffs

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-16-2005, 10:47 PM

It is sort of a joke we have.
"I thought he was bluffing" So what, so are you with probably the worse hand. Will work sometimes but I have to think this is -EV over the long run.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 PM

I think you're behind must bluffs too. I fold.