Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Default The \"Gaybet\" thread. (On renaming the term . . . )

I figured this deserved a thread of its own -- one that I hope will not be deleted. For one, a purpose of this thread is to perhaps come up with an alternative to the term that some will find less offensive -- given that a recent thread called "What is a Gaybet?" was deleted, this would seem to be a wise goal from a pragmatic point of view even if you don't buy the "politically correct" opin'.

As most of us know, in the last month or two the phrase "gaybet" has come to represent a betting sequence in which a player check/calls on one street and then bets out on the following street. In my experience, poorer players tend to do this when they pick up a draw or want to bluff at the pot, while stronger players generally do it with stronger holdings, especially if they think it will allow them to 3-bet.

My thoughts on the matter, reposted from a different thread:

----------
If I didn't think that 90%+ of twoplustwo'ers, due to their typical age and intelligence level, weren't actually quite tolerant/accepting of homosexuality, I think I'd be more concerned.

But hey, if we can come up with an acceptable synonym, it's probably early enough that we can stop the meme in question. (Or whatever you want to call it.)

Personally, I think "gaybet" was perfect because

1) It's a move often done by poor players, meaning that the bet is kind of stupid (matching up with the common slang of "gay" = "stupid")

2) BUT it's also a move often made by strong players, and has quite a different meaning in those cases (matching up with the fact that upon further consideration/thought, being gay isn't "stupid" at all).

Weak players, gaybets usually mean stupid.
Strong players, gaybets can mean anything, definitely requires more thought and consideration.

It's an interesting parallel (to the unwashed masses, gay=bad, to the smarter/more open folks, "gay" is just an adjective) -- and MUCH better than we get with most slang.
----------

So there we are. We have a phrase that, in my mind, is both fun and accurate, but let's face it, will certainly strike some folks as kind of offensive. It's also not a completely established term (or else people wouldn't be asking what it means.) So . . . we're smart folks here. Can we come up with a short, descriptive, fun phrase to describe this particular betting line that won't get threads discussing how to react to it deleted?

Some folks have proposed "grrbet", but . . . well, any other suggestions?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: The \"Gaybet\" thread. (On renaming the term . . . )

Society hasn't accepted homosexuality. Using terms like this is not helping a cause I believe in. It's small things like deciding not to use terms rooted in close-mindedness that eventually open up a society to accept differences.

Only people who aren't aware of the difficulties gay men and women have in America would stand up for using a term like gaybet as poker slang.

Terms are such a small thing. Give this one up please.

Krishan
Old 04-15-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Society hasn't accepted homosexuality. Using terms like this is not helping a cause I believe in. It's small things like deciding not to use terms rooted in close-mindedness that eventually open up a society to accept differences.

Only people who aren't aware of the difficulties gay men and women have in America would stand up for using a term like gaybet as poker slang.

Terms are such a small thing. Give this one up please.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed the title of the thread. While I like the term, I agree that it's time to find a new one. I'm not one to rant and rave about "political correctness" and demand that the moderators accept what is justifiably an offensive-to-some term simply because lots of people have started using it recently.

Suggestions, please.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Oh I know you are willing to use something else. I just figured if we are using a new thread I might as well make my request to use grrbet here as well.

Krishan
Old 04-15-2005, 02:34 PM

I have always referred to them and seen them referred as 'Sudden Bets' in other forums (not 2+2)
Old 04-15-2005, 02:39 PM

For what it's worth, best I can do so far is "lamebet". From poorer players, it's lame, i.e., usually represents weakness, while from stronger players, it's generally meant to SEEM lame when it's really not. (Note the "generally", though.)
Old 04-15-2005, 02:40 PM

I have to agree.... Using "gay" as an derogatory term (like when people say "that is so gay") is pretty offensive to large portions of society.

I don't like grrbet all that much, but can't think of anything better....

bluebet? (a bet out of the blue)
donkbet - hmmmn I think i like that one [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:42 PM

what about "Grisgra Betting" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Donkbet is the only acceptable alternative.

[ QUOTE ]
donkbet - hmmmn I think i like that one

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I change my vote?

Krishan