Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the more legendary SNG player?
Gigabet 127 85.23%
Raptor 22 14.77%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Brand Spankin\' New Glock 19

to end the gun control debate...

www.gunfacts.info

sorry, i messd up the URL before.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This domain name is for sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

I don't think there's a source of unbiased information about concealed carry permits vs crime/murder/gun death rate. I don't trust the Brady stuff, and I really think Lott's a bit too biased toward the side I argue for. Whatever.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:31 PM

www.gunfacts.info.

i messed up the previous url.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each chapter lists common gun control myths, then lists a number of documented and cited facts that directly dispute the gun control claim. Thus when a neighbor, editor, or politician repeats some slogan propagated by gun control advocacy groups, you can quickly find that myth, then rebuke.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can already smell the bias in this site. It may be an interesting read, but I don't think its too useful as an unbiased, scientific source of information [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sigh.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone with a license to legally carry his weapon in public has usually had some sort of training to go with it. There are some states that do not mandate it, but I believe the majority of those with "shall-issue" (meaning, you don't have to show any real solid reason for needing to carry a gun, above and beyond "self-defense") permits mandate safety training and familiarization with the applicable laws.

Again, I believe that the people with the licenses/permits to legally carry a concealed weapon are more likely to understand the laws relating to what they can and cannot do with their weapon, and to understand, above the law, what they SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do with their weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should also be the case with all gun owners yet there are still a number of accidental gun deaths per year due to irresponsibility on the gun owners part. There isn't any reason to believe that this won't carry over into concealed weapons.

Statistics show that a household gun is 42 times more likely to harm an innocent member of the household than an attacker. In my opinion there is no reason to believe that the same type of statistics won't arise for concealed weapons. The only difference being that instead of just the family member being the ones in danger it's myself, my family and friends, and every other innocent person in the United States. I would rather concealed weapons be outlawed now instead of waiting for the statistics to prove me right.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 PM

it's footnoted.

the fact is that gun control is perhaps the most ridiculously controversial topic in society.

check out the facts.

they're footnoted.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Statistics show that a household gun is 42 times more likely to harm an innocent member of the household than an attacker."

-reference your source please.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Statistics show that a household gun is 42 times more likely to harm an innocent member of the household than an attacker."

-reference your source please.

Post Extras:

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 11-15-2005, 06:44 PM

FACT: of the 42 deaths reported in this flawed study, 37 (86%) were suicides. Other deaths involved criminal activity between family members (drug deals gone bad)

-source: Arthur L. Kellerman, Protection or Peril?: An analysis of of firearm-related deaths in the home.

next question? [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Statistics show that a household gun is 42 times more likely to harm an innocent member of the household than an attacker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Natural selection. Lock up your gun. Teach your family how to use it and be safe with it. Or suffer the inevitable consequences. Oh, and what Ace said.

[ QUOTE ]
The only difference being that instead of just the family member being the ones in danger it's myself, my family and friends, and every other innocent person in the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be horrified to set foot outside your house. Who knows what bad bad criminal might have a gun and be looking to use it. Or, on the off chance that you run into someone with a concealed weapon's permit, who's carrying a concealed weapon, they might lose their mind and shoot you or someone you love.

The guns are out there. The threat is real. How much danger do people who carry legally actually add to this threat? I wonder what the percentage is of people illegally carrying guns vs the people legally carrying guns, in public.

I wonder who's more likely to shoot you.

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather concealed weapons be outlawed now instead of waiting for the statistics to prove me right.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find a way to ensure that no one is walking around with a concealed weapon, I'd be willing to keep mine at home as well. I think.

But you can't.

To the basics:

You would rather have a society where:

- The government is unable to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, BUT

- The government makes it illegal for law-abiding citizenry to legally carry a concealed weapon, BECAUSE

- More guns = more violent crime

So, once again, that cliche comes to mind. Do you really want to live in a society where the bad guys have guns, and everyone else (except the cops, sure) don't?

I've come to realize that I don't.