Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Great post

Let me just second what David has said. It highlights a very important point. Most of us who play seriously on this site will all make similar decisions most of the time. The places where our decisions differ are usually close calls and probably do not result in a huge amount of EV swing one way or the other.

Once you have reached this stage, keeping your head on straight and your mind on what you are doing becomes the difference between breaking even and consistantly winning. I'm more of the Mike Caro ("whoever tilts the least, wins") school of thought than the Mason Malmouth ("never going on tilt is easy; no serious player ever goes on tilt") school of thought on this subject.

I've been as guilty as anyone of considering my opponent an idiot, and Gar is totally right. That he is an idiot does nothing to help you beat him. Analyzing what specific mistakes he makes ("yes gentlemen, they are idiots, but what KIND of idiots are they") is what is going to let you beat them.

In addition to The Tao of Poker and Zen of Poker, I'd recommend The Psychology of Poker. They are all pretty "basic" books, but there is a point at which you know the numbers pretty much as well as you can know them and you need to look to your emotions (and your opponent's emotions).
Old 10-13-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Great post

[ QUOTE ]
Gar is totally right. That he is an idiot does nothing to help you beat him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the kind words

I think... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Imagine to yourself my amusement... I know what you are saying. Just the ambiguity of how you said it made me smile.

Myself, I have noticed improvement in my thinking about what to do when I'm playing a hand. Thinking about pot odds, trying to put my opponent on a hand, basic stuff that has to be like breathing if you're going to be in the top percentile of poker players.

At least, my thinking is getting better...and, to tell the truth, so is my play.

Although I still find myself thinking one thing and doing another. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Regards,

Gar
Old 10-13-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Stupid, stupid stupid

[ QUOTE ]
Also need to remember that my odds of hitting the flush drops significantly if missed on the turn, from 34% on the flop to about 13% on the turn, not the best odds to be putting a big chunck in with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I don't understand...If you know that your opponent will bet the turn if checked to and you know that if you miss your draw on the turn then you'll have to check/fold, then your odds of hitting the flush after the flop are NOT 34% because your never going to see the river. IMO You should be basing your bet/call on the 13% that you'll hit the flush on the turn. The 34% should only be used if there is a good chance that you will be able to see the river.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:02 PM

That 13% figure is significantly wrong.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:07 PM

I was just usin the number in the post above I think it should be more like 19%
Old 10-13-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Great post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gar is totally right. That he is an idiot does nothing to help you beat him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the kind words

I think... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That made me laugh out loud. Yes, the "he" in that sentence did not refer to Gar, obviously...