Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: squash

I played squash my freshman year of college. We almost went to the national championship but apparently Duke took our spot. I play a horrible game but my team was filled with a couple Indian dudes who were pretty nasty. We played in the Rhode Island league btw. RIISA or something like that?> Lots of fun, If I still went to school in RI I would definitly play. Squash kept me in amazing shape.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:00 PM

I prefer squash over racquetball when I am playing another player that is at my level. The game has great action, more intense points and it's a great workout.

I find that I don't enjoy the game when I am playing someone who is a level or 2 higher or lower then me. The points aren't long enough and it is not a great workout. I think that racquetball would be a preferable in these circumstances, when the person you are playing plays at a different level then you, the bouncier ball would at least allow for some longer points to be played and a good workout for both players.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 PM

this is very true. it's not fun playing someone who is no good. basically you can get by with barely having to run at all and just watch them run around like a monkey.

i've never played someone that much better than me that it wasn't fun, but i'm sure there's many people that would just embarass me.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM

one key difference which I think says a lot about the games is that they better you get at squash, the longer and more intricate the points become. While the better you get at raquetball the shorter the points become becaues both players become so good at killing the ball.

Becuase it is difficult to kill the ball in squash, you have to move your opponent out of position before you can hit a clean winner, either by hitting a good shot to the front and then hitting a winner to the back, or by hitting good length which sets up an easy shot to the front.

Part of the fun of squash is that slowing down the ball is an effective strategy, using a lob and drop, unlike in raquetball where these shots do not exist except as extreme defensive measures. You don't just have to bash the ball
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

edited to say i guess i'm not 50 lbs. more than you
Old 11-30-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simply incorrect. i don't know how else to say it

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, if you beef up to 270, what sport do you think you could beat me in?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.
Spins actually do something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I've never played squash in my life. I'd definitely like to try though.

Tennis doubles is definitely slowass. And it's hard for beginners to get rallies going.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:30 AM

is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was gonna be another cooking thread...

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I just watched the squash Iron Chef this weekend. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 12-01-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or is it considerably harder to find a squash court than a raquetball one?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just you. my university has 7 squash courts, and 2 racquetball courts. most gyms around here only have squash courts.