Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Remeber that article about the kid robbing the bank?

Im sure most of you heard about the kid that robbed a bank for a few thousand to try and pay off his $5000 in poker debt, my dad hears about this and now he seems to mention it when ever Im playing or talking about poker. He rolls his eyes and never really listens when I try to explain that poker is +ev if you know how to play.

Then he will bring up the television show about the students from MIT that created a bot that one a ton of money, I hadnt heard about this, but needless to say im not sure about the best way to approach it.

Whats a good come back to the retarded kid robbing the bank?
I was thinking about showing him my PT stats or my neteller account, but Im not sure if this would be an effective way to go about it.
1) He may think I have enough money and they shouldnt be helping me out with tuition
2) He may think I have just gotten lucky and have a serious gambling problem.
My grandma like to gambles and probably burns 5000 a year playing slots, although they can afford, my parents dont like it and think she has a big problem. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Remeber that article about the kid robbing the bank?

I'm 27. My parents would die inside if I told them I play poker.

I don't tell my parents.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Over the last two years there have been a number of posts like yours and the answer is unanimously...

Do not talk to your parents about poker.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 AM

Please don't tell my mother I'm a professional poker player. She thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 AM

unless you are at the point in your life where you are graduated college and should be trading stocks or some [censored] and are playing poker instead, there's no reason to talk to your parents about it.

if you are off at school tell them you have a work study job or you work at mcdonalds.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 AM

I showed my mother my pokertracker database, and it, along with a detailed explanation of +EV wagering, and a spreadsheet of all my buyins/cashouts for the past two years convinced her. Of course, I'm 25, do not live at home anymore, and my Mom has little to no say over how I spend my money, but its nice to not be thought of as a degenerate gambler by your parents.

Edit: I do however advise that you do not show your parents your pokergraph. I showed this to my mother as well, and it was the only part that concerned her. (Explaining the concept of variance is tough).
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 PM

Variance sucks.

I'm a college student, and live at home. I've always been a winning poker player, ever since I made my first deposit. Yet EVERY DAY I play my parents will ask me "how are you doing today" and I usually answer them honestly. And when they hear I'm down 1000+ for the week, they are like WTF where are you getting all of this money to play poker.

I finally got around to showing them a list of my cashouts, etc and the fact that I'm playing a limit 12x higher than where I started and they tend to leave me alone now.

Having a week where you make more money than both of your parents combined for ~16 hours of work helps too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 AM

That's too funny the part about making more than both your parents. That reminds of the Lou Gehrig story, after his mother found out he dropped out of Columbia she nearly had a heart attack until she saw his salary for the Yankees...... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]