Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-30-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry e

Holy Mary mother and [censored] Joseph!!!!

Do half of you even [censored] know what Indie music is? You're all listing bands like Radiohead for Christ's sake.

Here's a tip. Death Cab For Cutie put Plans out on...get ready for it...Atlantic.

Name a [censored] band that's on a goddamned independent label. The biggest label you can name here is going to be Matador. Under that label I'd advise looking at (of course) anything by Pavement. I think Soul Coughing did some early stuff under an independent label. Skinny Puppy under Nettwerk (I'm not an industrial fan, myself). Oh...and my girlfriend strongly suggest I mention VNV Nation's Empires put out under Metropolis.

[censored].

Indie does not equal button up shirt, tight jeans wearing, short spikey hair rock despite what your hipster friends told you!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 PM

Sorry duder, 'indie' no longer really means independent label (I think someone mentioned that recently).

Frankly, the closest thing you're going to get to a definition for this type of music is 'covered by pitchfork', which is lame ass Im well aware, but I still cant think of a better description.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 PM

I see we're letting the lunatics run the asylum eh? What the hell. As long as we're leting 18 year old emo dickholes define what means what now, I'm going to start wearing bitch hip hugger jeans, comb what's left of my hair down over my forehead and start a blog.

Mood: lethargic.
Music: I killed myself because I was crying - by Slashed wrists on the lawn.
Clothing: Anything that makes me look gayer than this thread.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 PM

A) Within the OP, indie was put in quotes, indicative of the nebulous nature of the word.

B) Whatever 'indie' means, its pretty clear that on this board there is a consensus (you, and perhaps a few others excluded)

C) allmusic.com uses the word to describe radiohead and death cab

D) Emo blows
Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

B) Whatever 'indie' means, its pretty clear that on this board there is a consensus (you, and perhaps a few others excluded)

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight. Based on the concensus reached by this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Death Cab For Cutie

[/ QUOTE ]

Indie includes bands on major labels.

[ QUOTE ]
Pavement

[/ QUOTE ]

Indie includes bands on "independent" labels and albums 10+ years old.

[ QUOTE ]
Surfjan Stevens

[/ QUOTE ]

Indie includes relatively obscure artists (prior to Illinois).

[ QUOTE ]
Radiohead

[/ QUOTE ]

Indie includes bands that have sold more than ten copies of an album.

Ok. I got you now.

To the OP. I would highly recommend these Indie albums to get you started:

Led Zeppelin - IV.
Metallica - Black.
The Beatles - The White Album.
Dr. Dre - The Chronic.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:24 PM

seems like everyone is going for the latest stuff, just before mainstream stuff, but not on an indie record label either. fair enough.

strokes - is this it should obviously be on this list for someone new. also missing stuff like white stripes - elephant, but probably not hipster enough.

acrade fire seems to be forgot about because the album is a year old.

you guys never ever meantion the arctic monkeys.

or the libertines.

Maximo Park are worth a meantion for the same reason.

shout out louds, and sigur ros
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Official Indie Starter Kit Thread (Calling all hipsters... sorry euro)

Man I'm trying to get into this stuff because I need new music, but I dont' think this is my thing. I absolutely love the Pixies, they are one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands, but I just don't think these other bands are similar. I need my stuff a little harder and more rock and roll than most of this wimpy stuff.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 PM

You seem to be working under the assumption that your opinion on this matter is relevant. I assure you, it is not.

No. It is far more than a twoplustwo consensus. When major music institutions (if you so wish I will link you articles from rollingstone and spin, in addition to allmusic) begin to classify these bands as 'indie' you must realize that that is now the definition the word has taken on.

I get it. Indie kind of sounds like independent. Its cute. But, sadly, thats not what it means anymore.

More information on the blurred lines between indie and maintream can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_(music)

ie: The term "indie" is often used to mean a sound that a musician presents, but when interpreted more literally, it is the way that sound is presented or made. "Indie" often refers to an artist or band that is not part of the mainstream culture and/or making music outside its influence. Though the sound of these bands may differ greatly, the "indie" definition comes from the do-it-yourself attitude and ability to work outside large corporations.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM

You mean like this gem?

[ QUOTE ]
The word "indie" is sometimes used as a synonym for alternative, a word which often bears the stigma of being associated with cynically manufactured mass-market teen-rebellion music from major labels.

[/ QUOTE ]

The term "indie" is a lot like Intelligent Design, "n/m", or the re-election of George W. Bush, I'm less concerned with what people think it means, than what it actually does mean.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of things like "new math" or linguistic descriptivism.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I'm trying to get into this stuff because I need new music, but I dont' think this is my thing. I absolutely love the Pixies, they are one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands, but I just don't think these other bands are similar. I need my stuff a little harder and more rock and roll than most of this wimpy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see my indie rock thread a while back with my zip file? Maybe you can try that.