Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Default How not to Play AK?

I sat down to 2 tables of PP .50-1.00 and got AK 5 times in the first round of play. I either misplayed or was unsure of what to do in all 5 hands. I'm posting 4 of them hoping someone is brave enough to review them all and give me some feedback. It might verify my "after the fact' thinking on the hands. Second, it demonstrates how poorly or lost a solid winner at this level can be/play at times. I won't tell which I won or lost.

Hand #1

At a minimum, the river call is preposterous!

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Hand #2

After check raising me and then capping my flop re-raise I felt it was likely I was up against either AA or KK, but not certain. So I checked behind on the turn assuming he was trying the same ploy. He checked again on the river and I checked behind again. The river is a question mark.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (14.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Hand #3

Given all the pre-flop action and a J on the board, I was unsure of whether to call the flop raise because even if someone didn't have 3 Js, someone else probably had the same hand as me. The pot was so huge I called and the turn card made me call down all the way.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (22 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (17 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB

Hand #4

The "donk" bet on the turn spooked me - trips/two pair?

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
Old 12-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: How not to Play AK?

Here is what I would do

Hand 1
I would raise the turn.

Hand 2
I would bet the turn.

Hand 3
Raise the turn.

Hand 4
Raise the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 PM

Hand 1 - Fold river
Hand 2 - I bet the turn.
Hand 3&amp;4 - Raise turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - Fold river
Hand 2 - I bet the turn.
Hand 3&amp;4 - Raise turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what I would do

Hand 1
I would raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah, this idea sucks IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:13 PM

Hand 1: nh 'til the river. I think you realize there's no way a preflop capper and lead-bettor on every street could possibly have a worse hand than yours unless he's an absolute bombthrowing maniac. The pot's huge on the flop, and you have the nut flush draw on the turn. But yeah, river call = super-spew.

Hand 2: This play baffles me. Either you saved a lot of chips by not letting him checkraise you, or he spooked you into missing two value bets. With no reads, the check/raise/cap line on the flop tells you he can beat TPTK, so I don't mind going into call-down from there or even folding UI. But since there was no bet to call, I think you did okay. I mean, what were you supposed to do, fold?

Hand 3: Raise the turn. If UTG+1 has A/A, J/J or a 4 you're boned, but if he has Q/Q or K/K you're pwning him.

Hand 4: Reads would help. But since you were last to act on the flop, you could have bet with any two cards there. If he really had that good a hand, he'd've checkraised you. (He obviously didn't have that good a hand, since he checked the river when he couldn't spook anybody with his turn donkbet.)
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Hand 1. Raising the turn isnt such a good idea on this hand with only one opponent and a hand that is probably never going to win if you get a free showdown. You already know to fold the river.

Hand 2. Bet the turn when checked too. If checkraised again you can probably dump

Hand 3. I fold the flop. I know the pots huge, but your overcards are very tainted and I dont like cold calling on back door draws, especially on a paired board where I could be drawing dead already.

Hand 4. Umm raise the turn. Cap it if possible! You have TPTK and nut flush draw with 2 people trapped between you and the raiser. This is pure bliss for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Hand 1 = (im going to be crucified for this,) but i play it the same

Hand 2 = bet the turn, see what happens =P

Hand 3 = its fine. to those suggesting raising the turn, your going to see JJ and AJ a lot of the time here
Hand 4 = easy turn raise; think hidden outs, and pot equity with your fd
Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM

grunch:

First of all, any reads help in all these hands, but it's your first round, not much you can do.

Hand 1: I like it till the river. The only thing you beat is an overplayed AQ. Fold.

Hand 2: This hand is bizarre. I would probably bet the river.

Hand 3: On the flop you have tainted overs and a backdoor flush draw on a scary board vs. 4 other players. You are behind and it is two bets to you. I would fold this everytime.

Hand 4: Sometimes people do this slowplaying the flopped Ace or flopped two pair. Sometimes they do it because they hit their 2 pair on the turn. Sometimes they do it because they now have a good draw with their made hand. You have a draw to the nuts. Call the turn. When the other guy bets the river, I cannot imagine we are ahead. You should probably call getting over 13:1, but I think we have lost - either A9 or T9.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 PM

Hand 1: raise the flop. If reraised, call and fold to a turn bet UI. If just called. he'll check to you and you lead the turn hoping to fold him. If he calls just check behind on the river for a free showdown.

Hand 2: Gotta bet that turn. If you're raised again then you're probably behind.

Hand 3: I play the same.

Hand 4: Raise the turn. You have tons of outs. I believe SSH says don't let a random turn bet freez you up. Most random turn bets are bluffs...if the player had a hand he would have just check-raised you.