Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Playing limit gets me more partypoints.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my feeling too.

Regards,
Ian
Old 12-30-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I play Limit. Eventually, I want to play No Limit and No Limit Tourniments (when my bankroll can afford it) but you need to be better at the basics before you can do anything else. When I first started, I played both and thought they were the same. I never really understood how position was important, now I do. Playing limit has made me a much better player.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM

because i am a male.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you play no limit well, it's true that the variance is lower. If you play it badly, it's high variance and -EV.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Fixed is basicly the same as NL, though the swings are higher both direction. Results are the same depending on your skill level. (OF course I don't have any evidence to proof which one is more profitable in the long run, but I just don't beliave there to be any difference)

Limit is brains, NL is balls.

I play limit, 'cos I got castruated at the NL tables.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 PM

I feel like I have a lot more control at NL. And my variance is usually pretty low b/c I play quite conservatively (and it works at small stakes). However, it can get pretty boring waiting for that "action" hand, so I need to 8 table just to keep myself occupied.

Recently I haven't been doing well in limit, and thus the variance has been a biotch. However, I like the speed of 6-max limit and all the betting...but for some reason I just don't seem to have a knack for it (even though my strongest point is math). And I can't figure out if it's b/c I'm too aggressive or not aggressive enough, if I fold too much or what. I've been beating the $1/$2 6-max tables at Party, but am losing quite significantly at the $1/$2 5-max tables at PokerRoom, and am wondering if it's that much more difficult or if it's just variance.