Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 PM

Default playing second or third pairs on flop

this is kind of general, but i'm having a lot of trouble when i hit a flop but the pot is multiway, and there are overcards. say for example i have K9 and the flop comes Q92 for example, or maybe i have K6 and the flop is QJ6. when there are 3-4 players in the hand, how should i go about playing these? early position i'm thinking bet the flop, if most people call check/fold the turn UI, in late position i'm not sure because someone usually bets out before me.

it seems you are basically drawing to very few outs in a multiway pot, since you are most likely behind when you get several callers. should these hands simply just be thrown away?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: playing second or third pairs on flop

Betting out in a 3+ person pot when there are 2 mid rank cards (QJ), especially at these low limits, is bad. I doubt you will ever see it fold around. I would check in the situations you stated.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 AM

does this also apply if i have second or third pair on a poorer flop like 842 etc.?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 AM

Middle pair with an overcard on a ragged flop might be OK sometimes, but you gotta wonder what the callers are calling with. It's basically a semi-bluff and there aren't many situations you can do this.
Q73 rainbow and you hold A7 - fire away. If an ace hits on the turn, get ready for combat.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:33 AM

if you get called by more than one person, and are UI on the turn, is it check/fold or call down normally?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 AM

in EP, i would bet-call, check-fold the turn if there's more than one caller, bet-fold all the way down otherwise.

in LP, I think it's usually a raise or fold situation if there's a bet in front of you. Bet-fold the turn and take a free showdown (VB against very loose players, esp. if you have a good kicker).

That's when you play the hand. Folding is a clear option sometimes.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM

How about setting up a flop check raise from early position, especially if the CO or button was the preflop raiser? That way you can possibly thin out the field.

Then if you've got it heads up against the preflop raiser, bet out the turn.

From middle position if one person has already bet out, I'll only raise if its a draw rich board, otherwise I'll fold. But if I'm the first one in after a couple of checks, a bet seems goot.

How's my line?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM

Playing multiway pots with middle or bottom pairs sounds like a good way to lose money...it's hard to know where you are at and no one folds....

I prefer to continue on with middle/bottom pairs in HU or 3 handed situations