Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Microlimits Progress Quest: Post plans/updates/setbacks here.

My goals.

I've got 50 bucks (so 25BB at the .5/1 table- right) in Party. I want to make another 25BB, and cash that out- so I'm functionally playing for free.

Then I want to play till I hit a sufficient bankroll to play at the 1/2 tables. Suggestions on what that bankroll should be? How many BB should you be playing with at any given time?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 PM

you should try the 1/2 6 max. you just sit down with a fork in each hand. of course you have to spend a few days getting used to shorthanded. i lost 250$ the first 4 days before getting the hang of it and winning the 250$ back that weekend. i actually have enough bankroll nowdays for 3/6 full tables but am waiting for 1000 more dollars so i can play 5/10(6 max). its TONS more fun too.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:39 PM

I've got 50 bucks (so 25BB at the .5/1 table- right) in Party. I want to make another 25BB, and cash that out- so I'm functionally playing for free.

A BB is equal to the bet size on the turn and river, so for .5/1 a BB = $1, for 2/4 a BB = $4. So $50 = 50BB at .5/1.

I would strongly suggest not cashing out until you have built a bankroll. You will still be playing from your profits as long as you're profitable, but if you suffer a downswing, you'll be glad you don't have to do redeposit. Trust me, it's dispiriting.

If you're not willing to reload, a very comfortable roll for a winning player is 300BB.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Good luck with your goals.

I've just passed the 300BB barrier (started with 50) playing at .50/$1 on Party. Have around 5k hands in my database and continue to try and plug leaks.

The frustrating part about moving up for me is getting over the fear of losing my hard earned roll and playing more WT than I already do.

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100 and don't ever worry about busting out.

Anyone else have/had that problem when moving up levels?

-Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Statistically speaking, am I headed for a crash?

No, there is no tendancy for things to "even up". However, if you play long enough you will have extended periods where you have a net loss (1000's of hands).

Trying a Sit n' Go. Different than the ring game, but could be a fun change of pace.

Yes, very different, but also a lot of fun. For some reason I prefer the no-limit SNG's even though I play limit ring games. I guess I like the option of pushing-in if I get short stacked. Don't play the $5 SNG's at Party, they have a $1 charge which is the same as the $10. UB has $5+.50 SNG's.

Read HFAP

Good idea.

Lost Wages

Old 02-09-2004, 03:54 PM

Thanks. I'll think twice about cashing out. In part I'm tempted to cash out because by not doing so I'm making something of a commitment to spending a hell of a lot of time in front of my computer- and I do too much of that already. If I can actually realize profits from it (rather than just having it sit in a non-interest earning account) it makes it more worthwhile.

That said- I really enjoy the game, and want to get better- and your point about re-buying and a good bankroll size is well taken.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM

The frustrating part about moving up for me is getting over the fear of losing my hard earned roll

Don't be afraid to move back down if things don't go well. Also, think of your playing bankroll as a tool, not money.

I play semi-regularly $4/$8 live and buy in for $100

That's a very short buy-in. Standard is about 25BB or $200 for 4/8.

Lost Wages
Old 02-09-2004, 04:06 PM

4/8 you should be buying in for 200. IMHO
Old 02-09-2004, 04:38 PM

Started 11-01-03 with $280.00 keeping records and such - current "operation":

Goal: $2000 B/R by 04/01/04 @ .50-1.00 then will play $1-2 (2 tables)

Milestone: +1200.00 1/28/04

Curr Limit: .50-1.00 2 Tables (some $1-2 play)

Current B/R: $630.00 (cashed out $900.00) Playing on Net earnings! Sweet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rate: 4.33/Hr. @ .50-1.00 (2 tables)
6.21/Hr @ 1-2 (single table) 78 hrs of play

I'm confident that I could move to 1-2 now, (I take shots at it here and there now) but I want the added B/R I will play 500hrs at each level and continue to move up with a substantial cushion to soak up the variance.

I did take a shot @ $2-4 12/11/03 and got kicked pretty hard (-50BB's) recovered @ .50 tables and will be back when I'm better prepared 2005 probably.

PS - I only play 1 site (Paradise) So I might Bonus Whore the other sites soon, before making a permanent move to the $1-2 game. Build the B/R again and move some to another site
Old 02-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Good post.

I've been playing steadily for about the past 9 months or so almost exclusively at the micro limits. I just crossed $3K in earnings with maybe $800 of that coming from bonus whoring. I played a little over 1000 hands at Party $1/2 and my rate was lower than that of Party $0.5/1 so I stopped $1/2. I have about 250 hands at $2/4 and am down 18 BB's. I probably played too tight (14% Flops) but didn't get a lot of hands either.

Now my issue is I know I busted my butt building my bankroll to date and don't relish the thought of giving a ton of it back while trying to figure out if I can be profitable at $2/4. But to give it a fair shot, I know I need to expect a downswing. It's the old risk/reward balancing act.

So what's the best plan when $1/2 sucks and $2/4 places several weeks of profit at risk to give it a decent shot?