Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Not slow playing... but playing slowly

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($31.05)
UTG ($44.20)
Hero ($39.80)
CO ($8.55)
Button ($59.80)
SB ($32)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($7.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($13.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>

I think most would raise this 6 handed; I did not hear. My style is a little looser and more passive preflop than I think most here. This is certainly up for debate.

On the flop the min raiser has at most a pair almost all the time. I sincerely doubt an overpair. The board is relatively drawless, so I don't mind keeping the pot small.

The turn picks up more draws, should I raise here?

I felt his most likely holding on the river was a weak pair which would have trouble folding to such a small bet. He would have to fear the straight and would not be able to value raise me; this is an easy fold to anything but a min check raise.

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Not slow playing... but playing slowly

I think normally the smallish river bet could be seen as a chance to bluff you off of the hand, but in this case I like your thinking that he must respect a straight. However I might half pot it to be a little safer depending on the villian. I think limping AT here is fine with one limper in front of you.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Check behind that river. You want a cheap showdown. What worse hand calls you here? Two pair probably calls and the 8 is raising. You bet and folded all worse hands so just check it down.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Do you think a pair of nines or a pair of tens would fold to the river bet?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:03 PM

Passive villain that wakes up and starts betting on a 4-straight river isn't going to get much action. There times to trap, this isn't one of them. No way a 9 calls. A strong T might call. More likely 9T or 67 calls.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passive villain that wakes up and starts betting on a 4-straight river isn't going to get much action. There times to trap, this isn't one of them. No way a 9 calls. A strong T might call. More likely 9T or 67 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are giving too much credit to the play and mindset of a typical $50 player.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are giving too much credit to the play and mindset of a typical $50 player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but this is not a good habit to get into if you plan to play the $100's anytime soon.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 PM

I'm new to 6.max,

but i would raise to 12 on the turn to get overcard out of the way, and to hopefully get a 2. pair, or top pair weak kicker to call.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to 6.max,

but i would raise to 12 on the turn to get overcard out of the way, and to hopefully get a 2. pair, or top pair weak kicker to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

$8-$10 is fine. You want to overchareg draws, not fold them out. What worse hand scall an overbeat here? I think raising the turn is the right play. You can lay it down if villain plays back
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15 PM

I'm folding to the raise preflop.