Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Massive Draw

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Second hand at table, first hand was folded without showdown.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Four callers and I had a discounted price, Good call? Ugly call?

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Beautiful flop for me. Straight and flush draws, and a bettor who would lead out behind me. I elected to check raise here, but after all the folds, I feel like I should have smooth called to maybe get the BB to come along. The PF raiser's 3 bet meant that he had queens or better, or he was defending his initial raise with a bluff rereise.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Standard pot odds call.

River: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

The pot was large, and I had a sh*tty piece of the board. I grudgingly called planning to muck.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 04-15-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Massive Draw

call the flop

fold the river
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 AM

Old 04-15-2005, 03:02 AM

I cap the flop.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:02 AM

The only good street is the turn. Fold preflop. Bet the flop.

Fold River. Is your hand good on the river 1 in 10 times here? I'm too tired to explain the other streets.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only good street is the turn. Fold preflop. Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

A.C. What is wrong with the check raise here? My intention was to trap several callers for 2 small bets. If I bet out and the raiser raised wouldn't that elimiate more dead money?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:20 AM

Dead money? You mean the sole remaining big blind? You don't want to eliminate players with this hand. You will only be "cleaning up" your 3 ace overcard outs. The purpose of the flop bet is to get more money in the pot without eliminating them in case you hit your draw. In this situation it is more profitable to let them stay in than protecting your hand and "buying" outs. The pot is also not big enough for you to need to buy outs.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:22 AM

i think the plan of c/ring is fine, but since you don't have anycallers inbetween and have a hand that is about even money to hit by the river(14 is breakeven, you have 12.5-13.5 or so) I think its better to just encourage BB to ridealong

if you had position a raise would be better as you'll get a free card a fair amount
Old 04-15-2005, 03:25 AM

I think that a c/r on this flop is fine, but when MP2 and the CO fold, it becomes a check/call. I would rather try to trap MP2 and CO than just the BB.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:25 AM

Also, if you had been reading your SSHE like your location claims, then you know you would need to have a hand worth calling a raise cold from EP if coldcalling in SB.

I know that there is 2 cold callers, but If someone raised UTG and UTG+1 called and UTG+2 called would you make this call in MP1? It wouldn't be terrible, but it is very marginal and probably slightly -EV. Until you learn better postflop play, like not calling on the river here, then you should muck this to raises to be safe. Also muck KTo, QTo, JTo from any position except SB.