Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-26-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Dumb NFL Draft Order Selection rules...

As we know, the NFL draft order is a hot topic because of the possibility of getting Reggie Bush.

Everyone knows that the team with the worst record gets the best pick.

However, if two or more teams tie with the worst record, a tie breaker is applied.

The first tie-breaker is strength of schedule. Meaning, the worse the overall record of your opponents, the higher your pick.

The 2nd tie breaker is (worse) division record, but this only applies if you are tied with a team in your division.
The 3rd tie breaker is (worse) Conference record, but that only applies if you are in the same conference.

HEAD TO HEAD IS NOT A TIE BREAKER.

So Houston fans, if you beat S.F next week, they dont automatically have the tie breaker over you, in fact, right now Houston oppopnents have 128 wins while S.F opponents have 131. ( How Dumb is this )

Actually, if Houston wins next week, N.O has the inside track to Reggie Bush, with only 124 opponent victories currently (this includes the Jets-Pats game tommorrow which adds 1 win either way).

The Jets are screwed for the #1 pick if N.O doesnt win next week. The best they could do is TIE New Orleans for strength of schedule ( i checked it out ).

So even if they did tie, what would the tie-breaker be?

Well the strength of schedule is the same, they're not in the same division so that doesnt apply, their not in the same conference so that doesn't apply..

How about since N.O. beat the Jets, the Jets get a higher pick?

NOPE!! THEY WOULD FLIP A COIN!!!!

Call Tails Herm, call Tails.

--LoO
Old 12-26-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Dumb NFL Draft Order Selection rules...

[ QUOTE ]

HEAD TO HEAD IS NOT A TIE BREAKER.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that's true to prevent actual throwing of games.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:02 AM

The nhl a few years back moved to a lottery like the NBA. I really like it and dont see any reason every league shouldnt use it.

rJ
Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 AM

It's really, really hard to throw an NFL game. Think about all the players on the Texans who won't be around next year. Think about Domanick Davis and Vernand Morency. Think about David Carr, who is basically auditioniong to get a job somewhere, anywhere. Think about Dom Capers who's in the same position.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nhl a few years back moved to a lottery like the NBA. I really like it and dont see any reason every league shouldnt use it.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why a lottery helps. The team with the worse record still has the best chance at the #1 pick right? So, if you are concerned about your team's draft pick (which would be the case if your team is not going to be in the playoffs), then the best thing to do is loose.

If there is concern about throwing games, they could do a true lottery (in which all teams have an equal chance of gettign the #1 pick), or they could give better picks to better teams.

Another option, would be something like give the best pick to the team with the best record than didn't make the playoffs. Or perhapse, they could give the #1 pick to the best record in games played after having been eliminated from playoff contention.

There are different ways that this could be done. My point is that an NBA style lottery doesn't really do anything.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:07 PM

i actually hate the lottery. if they made it so that it was a lottery with different levels like the worst few teams would compete for the first few spots then the next i wouldnt mind but that tiny percentage of an awesome team getting the first pick is lame.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NOPE!! THEY WOULD FLIP A COIN!!!!

Call Tails Herm, call Tails.

--LoO

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings to mind the story of the 1970 draft. The Bears and Steelers both finished the 1969 season with 1-13 records, and it was determined that they would flip a coin to determine who would draft first. The Bears called heads. Coin came up tails. The Steelers used the resulting #1 pick to draft Terry Bradshaw, who would go on to lead them to 4 Super Bowl victories, and have a hall of fame career. The Bears then traded the #2 pick to the Green Bay Packers for a bunch of washed up veterans who would lead them to a decade of suckiness.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:01 PM

It's not like that draft was filled with studs.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like that draft was filled with studs.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I won't debate the depth of the 1970 NFL draft with you, especially since that wasn't really the point of my post.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:51 PM

I thought the Packers have the inside line on Reggie Bush assuming they lose and Houston beats SF?