Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Alito, yet another draft dodger

Alito Joined Army Reserves During College

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito joined the Army reserves while he was a college student because his lottery number made it likely he would be drafted for the Vietnam War, college roommates said Wednesday.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Alito, yet another draft dodger

OK, so this makes him what? Qualified to be President? Unqualified to serve on the SC?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM

I think the "joining the reserves to avoid service in Vietnam argument" has lost most of it's fire. People just don't seem to care anymore now that Clinton and Bush have been Presidents.

It's possible it could still work with a Supreme Court nominee.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 PM

The prez is commander in chief of the military. Wanting to head up the military is one thing. A supreme court justice, well, is deciding cases.

So he finessed his way out of service... makes him smarter in my mind...he should tell the truth.

FWIW they should filibuster him...too radical.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Isn't this called spin doctoring?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito joined the Army reserves while he was a college student because his lottery number made it likely he would be drafted for the Vietnam War, college roommates said Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for him! Though a great man would have just refused to serve in order to politicize his prison term. But hey, there aren't many great men in the world, including me. I would have moved to Canada. At least, he wasn't idiotic enough to actually fight that dumb war when he had other options.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 PM

Meh, this has very, very little to do with the merits of a supreme court justice. Somewhat important when deciding President, but not important all when deciding something having very little to do with military matters.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alito Joined Army Reserves During College

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito joined the Army reserves while he was a college student because his lottery number made it likely he would be drafted for the Vietnam War, college roommates said Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the point of this post is what?? He was smart? He was dumb? He was a coward? He was prudent? He is unfit to be a judge? He is shrewd enough to be a judge?

Most people of draft age at that time did not serve in the military (including nearly 100% of females). Most of those that did serve, did not see combat. At the time, avoiding active service, especially combat, was considered to be the smart thing to do.

He was also of an era when college students listened to weird music and smoked dope. He probably did that too, although I'm sure he didn't inhale.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:30 PM

I don't want to see Alito on the SCOTUS, but I don't care about what he did during Vietnam. I also heard a story last night about a paper he wrote in 1971. I also don't care about that. All the Army reserves story tells me is that he had brains even back then.