Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Are SNG players good poker players ??

i think SnG are the easiest form to go from "noob" to "pretty damn decent"...you only really need to grasp/semi-master a few simple concepts before you find yourself beating them for a decent return. To go from noob to quite good at NL cash, or whatever, is a longer road.

Erm, i may not be able to explain what im thinking, that paragraph wasnt quite it. I'll try again:

The financial divergence between a good player and the field is more quickly evident in SnG. Once you "get it" about the bubble, you are across the "treading water" point, and likely to stay there. To cross that bridge in SnG is not a massive revelation, and wont take years of experience. In the "othergames", it takes longer to cross that bridge.

And im the same way...the bills get paid with SnG, but rarely a week goes by without me wandering into the rings for some spice-up, and i reallt am not much past the treading water point at any significant stakes. Im sure i COULD be, but theres a lot of work /time involved.

BL'

Oh, are SnG players good poker players? What eastbay said.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get bored with SNG's and try NL, NL 6max, MTT, Limit, Limit 6 max. At these other games I seem to NOT be winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play all of those, and I win at all of them, BUT, I learned to win at all of them through hard study and paying my dues. Your thinking you can just sit down and win is no different than a limit player "trying out" NL sng's and wondering why he's not doing well.

If you get bored and want to learn a new game, I'm all for it, and think it adds alot to a player. But learning a new game means finding out the best books, getting a couple and studying them, reading the archieves for the forum for that style of poker, and then starting low and working your way up.

Steve
Old 10-24-2005, 09:38 PM

i feel lost when i play ring games
Old 10-24-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raptor, Citanul, Gigabet, Megabet, bluefeet, JohhnyBeef, all of you with tons of experience what do you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the shout out!

I play cash games rarely online, but quite a bit live. SNGs are easier to mutitable IMO, and therefore more profitable. There are less decisions involved because there is less postflop play.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM

I think SNGs are easier than other forms of poker, but then, I would, because I'm suited to SNGs.

Analytical people naturally gravitate to SNGs because they require a more technical skill set. 6 max limit holdem is a very profitable game as well, but it requires less technical skills and more understanding of psychology.

A lot of the time in SNGs, your opponents' hands and play styles are totally irrelevant. Say you're on the bubble, medium stacked, and there's a short stack. You're in the BB and it folds to the big stack SB who pushes. You have A9o. What does the big stack have? The correct answer is "who cares?". Similarly, a lot of the plays which differentiate good SNG players from bad (early caution, pot odds calls, big stack bullying tactics etc) are completely independent of opponents. It's like a complex form of solitaire.

When I do make a play based on my read of an opponent, often it's some overt hint they've given me that hand... like not betting enough, indicating weakness, or making a big overraise, indicating they don't want me to call. I rarely try to manipulate another player's state of mind... which in short handed LHE can be a key tactic.

Does all this make SNG players "worse poker players"? I don't know... how do you define a "good poker player"? To me the only definition that makes sense is how much money they make over the long term.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:04 PM

Usually, no. Most tournament players are crappy "poker" players.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 AM

I love how all of us think that SNGs are the easiest to beat...yet there has to be a whole ton of people not on this forum losing piles of money playing us. I think i'd like to hear what a cash game player has to say about this subject. If they said that SNGs were the easiest, I would defintely think they're retarded for not playing them ahhaha.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 AM

in general no
Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 AM

Try moving to non-turbo UB SnG from the turbo ones first. You start to be able to use/need more post-flop play and as you get used to that in the SnG format that still has all the bubble and short stack decisions you know and love you can start to move to other forms. Also if you are playing on UB move to the 2 table and 3 table SnG as a kind of baby MTT.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:03 AM

hmmm are you saying that you don't think they're the easiest? The reply was short, I'm just making sure.