Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Civilization IV, Baddest Beat of my Life

Archers can shoot off arrows with quite a bit of force and accuracy, it's conceivable to believe that a well placed shot could hit the pilot and take your helicopter down. Also your helicopter is probably not as well armored as you think it is, there's really no such thing as a heavily armored helicopter. Armor=weight.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 AM

D10,

Gay.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the baddest beat of my life. How the hell does a modern, heavily armored helicopter get shot down by godamn arrows!? I DUNNO HOW THESE [censored] FISH KEEP CALLING DOWN WITH INFERIOR HOLDINGS AND DRAWING OUT ON ME. WTF WTF ARE THE ODDS? THIS [censored] IS SO DAMN RIGGED.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You obviously dont know anything about civilization. Did you want the archers to not try to fight your helicopter? That copter getting shot down is good because now he's going to think its a smart idea to keep fighting with the archers.

I get happy when my helicopters are shot down by archers...

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two of the funniest posts I've ever read. Both dangerous close to that card game. And I agree that posts consisting of "*" are dumb.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 AM

LOL I had the same thing happen, my helicopter got totally pwned by a single musketman. WTF?

Honestly, civ 4 is a decent game, but the combat modeling sucks so bad that it takes away a huge part of the joy to me. If I use it either to defend myself or as an alternative way of winning to cultural victory or dominance, I get very bored by how lackluster it is and how much of an afterthought it is. Honestly, it kind of sinks the game for me when such a central part of it is so clumsy and washed out.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:39 AM

Default I hate seeing *** posts, and some civ4

is it just me, or is people typing in *, or **, or *** just not funny? I think anybody who replies with a post just of stars should actually be given a star!

anyway, i just bought civ IV. I own all previous civs and was addicted to them all. im kinda bummed since civ IV doesnt seem to be working at all.

but anyways . . . i thought as the game has evolved, the game designers pretty much made it impossible for something like what happened to occur? I remeber in the days of civ-1, that pesky veteran phalax could beat a battleship. but they made a whole new combat system so this basically would never happen!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 AM

Yeah, it is ridiculous sometimes.

I am hoping for a Colonization II.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM

Stupidest cliche scene in the movies is an unarmed helicopter chasing down some guy. The sad truth is, against an unarmed helicopter, a guy on the ground with a large rock or stick can easily take it down if it did chase him. Simply toss large rock or stick straight up into the rotor blades.

Now, against an ARMED helicopter, I imagine the archers are winning due to maintenance issues. Gunships are delicate things and sometimes they just fall out of the sky.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 AM

I read a book called "Chickenhawk" by a guy who was a chopper pilot in Vietnam. He regularly landed in clearings that were too small to land in, as did all the other pilots, by actually chopping through foliage on the way down. So a stick isn't going to do much. If you got hit by one of those blades it would cut you in half.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL I had the same thing happen, my helicopter got totally pwned by a single musketman. WTF?

Honestly, civ 4 is a decent game, but the combat modeling sucks so bad that it takes away a huge part of the joy to me. If I use it either to defend myself or as an alternative way of winning to cultural victory or dominance, I get very bored by how lackluster it is and how much of an afterthought it is. Honestly, it kind of sinks the game for me when such a central part of it is so clumsy and washed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the better tech always won finland, afghanistan, vietnam, hell russia US and germany would all be speaking different languages right now...

sometimes, weird [censored] happens. I agree I hate it when it happens in the game, but you can lose.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 AM

By stick I meant something 2 or 3 inches in diameter. No pilot wants to hit something that big. For that matter, they really don't want to hit a human being either. There's a good chance of them going down as well.

The tip of a rotor blade is going roughly 500 mph. If it hits anything of substance, it will destroy that thing, but also damage itself. And an unbalanced rotor, which the damage will cause, is not a good thing.