Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Is Star Trek Racist?

Gainan isn't human.

~D
Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 PM

although that is an interesting observation, i disagree.

1. Capt. Sisko was black and he was awesome. they wouldn't have made him a hero if they were racist

2. Worf, played my micheal dorn (a black man) was one of the most honorable and noble characters on TNG, DS9, etc.

3. I've seem almost every single TNG ever. about 10% of them are highly preachy episodes trying to make some very liberal political statement

4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

and i don't think the japanese are "emotionless" people.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this. I know McCoy was always ragging on Spock but that was mostly bluster. Examples????

[ QUOTE ]
...and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human.

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did not get this from it. I saw it as a representation of the Cold War because there was an uneasy truce in which battles may have been fought but wars didn't break out. There was secret missions to steal the "cloaking device" and wars fought by proxy, remember the klingons providing technology to a group of primatives and Kirk was sent to give them a better gun or sword.

You seem to have kept up with the show more than I did. Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan in that episode where Spock got a bad case of the Blue Balls and had to fight for his slutty wife?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Capt. Piccard is the most tolerant, non racist person ever and he is hands down the best star trek character of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty strong statement. There have been some good Star Trek characters. I'm not even sure if I disagree, but it's a strong statement.

~D
Old 12-14-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He is, but why on earth did they make someone so great and obviously English (and I'm talking attitude here, not accent) into a Frenchie? Good God wot!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although that is an interesting observation, i disagree.

1. Capt. Sisko was black and he was awesome. they wouldn't have made him a hero if they were racist

2. Worf, played my micheal dorn (a black man) was one of the most honorable and noble characters on TNG, DS9, etc.

3. I've seem almost every single TNG ever. about 10% of them are highly preachy episodes trying to make some very liberal political statement

and i don't think the japanese are "emotionless" people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When and how were you unbanned?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He is, but why on earth did they make someone so great and obviously English (and I'm talking attitude here, not accent) into a Frenchie? Good God wot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the French suck. There is a thread about the French sucking in Politics right now called "Math, Logic, and Ideology."

Go figure.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't say the French suck, it's just the sensibility and attitude of Picard is hardcore English officer (a type pretty firmly established since the Napoleonic wars onwards), that's all.

Jeez, never thought I'd be defending the French here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this. I know McCoy was always ragging on Spock but that was mostly bluster. Examples????

[/ QUOTE ]
In the episode where they first encounter the Romulans, whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Is the hot vulcan chick on the newest ST the old lady that ran the show on vulcan

No. Old Vulcan lady on TOS - T'Pau
Hot chick on Enterprise - T'Pol
Chick who dissed Spock - T'Pring