Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 09-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Time to Give Poker Superstars 2 Another Chance?

As soon as I realized what was going on in the tourney last night (my first time watching this one) I changed channels.

Stupid, stupid tournament and David Williams said the same thing last night on Stars.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 PM

Since I cannot see PSI2, I would be interested in an explanation of their playoff structure. How does it work and what makes it so stupid?
Or is there a site that explains it?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:03 PM

In this round, there are four groups of four people. The same four people play two tournaments, and they are awarded 10 for first, 7 for second, 4 for third and 0 for fourth. The top two total points from these two tourneys advance to the next round. So the points after the first tourney are player A 10, then B 7, C 4, D 0. That means that for player D to advance to the next round, he must win the second tourney, and have A finish second, C third, and B fourth. This makes the final totals A 17 D 10 C 8 B 7 and is the only combination that allows D to advance. And interestingly enough, is exactly what happened last night.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, I guess that folding Aces before the flop, on the bubble, after 3 others have gone all-in wouldn't be a "poker" decision to you either? .

[/ QUOTE ]

That is definitely not a poker decision. It's a tournament decision.

Both are good examples of how tournment poker is a bastardized version of the game. The PSII show was simply much more extreme.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:38 PM

I would think that any rules which force one to make more decisions in a poker game or tourney would favor the better player. Or at least the better thinker. This helps to make this show more interesting to me.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:19 PM

For anyone who missed it, this was basically what happened.

Round 2 of Group A's quarterfinal match I believe. Partifcipants are David Grey, Todd Brunson, Dewey Tomko and Carlos Mortenson.

In order for Todd Brunson to go to the next round, all of these things had to happen.

David Grey had to be eliminated first.
Dewey Tomko had to be eliminated second.
Todd had to beat Mortenson heads up.

I may be forgetting one thing, but i think that's all.

It basically led to some very awkward moments. At one point, the announcer said "Todd brunson has to fold here! He can not play a pot with dewey tomko at all!"

Another point was when Tomko was on the shortstack and Todd had TT vs Tomko's T8. He called Tomko's all in (or put him in? Dont remember the action) and was actualyl cheering for and regretting the move. I think Tomko luckily hit trip 8s, but again, someone else may correct me.

The whole thing was rather silly. Sure, it may have been more "strategic," but I hated it. It was sickening to watch how this played out and what Todd "had" to do to ensure his playoff spot. It kind of ruins the integrity of the game if you ask me.

And while I doubt any of it happened this tourney, it widely opens up the possibility of collusion to ensure one person continues onto the next round, or to ensure that one person DOESN'T continue to the next round. That's not exciting poker to me.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid, stupid tournament and David Williams said the same thing last night on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

David Williams said it was stupid?! Well then it must be.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Well, just one pro opinion. I wasn't implying he is the be all end all. It's still stupid and stinks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Tomko luckily hit trip 8s, but again, someone else may correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Todd won that hand. The next hand that Tomko played he goes all in with A8 and Todd calls with Q7 and doubles Dewey up. The next hand Dewey playes he gets 3 way action (holding pocket kings) from Gray and Todd and triples up becoming chip leader.

Tomko then bluffs off a third (or more) of his stack to Carlos. He then eventuallly busts allowing Todd to execute phase three of his master plan to beat Carlos heads up therby putting David Grey sitting on the rail.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM

It's nice that we actually get to see postflop play for a few hands now. Also it's annoying that the presenter who doesn't shave properly is always really defensive about the crap tournament format, then seems to find it really funny that Todd Brunson is being completely shafted by it.