Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Steamboatin cruises back to shallow water.

with his Smokestack between his legs. No more 10-20 until my game or my attitude (both need work) improve. I am only down 100 Big Bets and that is easily explained away by normal variance and I can afford to play 10-20 but I think I am playing above my emotional bankroll kinda like DR Al talks about. I haven't read the article just picked up a little here and there but the numbers really bother me.

I took a bad beat this afternoon and it really had a significant impact on my attitude. I don't want to tell a bad beat story because no one cares and it doesn't matter because it happens to everyone all the time and I don't want to just blame it all on variance. It would be easy to focus on the bad beats and keep on playing 10-20 because that is what I really want to play but I am just not ready.

I don't think I am being outplayed, but when I take a bad beat at 10-20 it bothers me much more than it should and that is as big a problem as any.

I think I need to retreat and work on my game.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Steamboatin cruises back to shallow water.

I don't really know your game but it's my impression that you probably need to work on it as well.

It's also possible (and maybe even likely) that the bad-beat was perhaps even misplayed in there. I recommend posting the hand in the SS forum....and also posting the occasional hand or 3 in the micro or SS forums to see what some of the guys think.

If you want to work on your game you have to prepare to get totally blasted though. It can be a cruel cruel world in the strategy forums but if you can accept their advice it's worth it. If you're afraid...very afraid...you can just lurk and check out some of the hands there and will still learn much.

Sorry it hasn't been going well for you. I do think you'll be best to steer clear of the 10/20 for now though until you have greater confidence in your abilities as well as more skill at the table.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:26 AM

10-20 with a full kill and it is a kill pot. 6 limpers and I raise on the button with QQ. SB folds BB completes. Flop is 54T rainbow, checked around to me and I bet. Turn is a 5, checked around to me and I bet. BB raises, I call, river is a T, BB checks and I check because I am certain He has a 5. BB drags a giant pot with 57 spades.

Hands like this don't bother me at 3-6, 4-8 or even 5-10 but I think I have a misconception about the quality of play at 10-20 and that amplifies the impact that it has on me.

Also, I have too much ego involved in my game and being down 100 BB against hands like this is really driving me crazy which pretty much insures that I am not playing well.

All this rambling is just getting around to saying that Microbob is right, its back to the kiddie pool for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:07 AM

Maybe you could have taken a deep breath and say to yourself "what is he rasing me with?"
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM

Hey steamboat i know you play alot in tunica. can you give me some advice on the best nl game. i am planning a guys weekend this month. and want to play some nl. thanks for any help. we also want to play a tourney on saturday.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM

the Gold Strike has 1-2 NL that plays big and a 10 AM Saturday tourney that has a low buyin.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM

I was quite confident He had a five, the pot was giant so it was worth one more bet to try and catch a Q. He checked to me when te board paired again so the showdown was free.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Steam,

I always enjoy your posts. You seem to be a good guy that loves poker not only for the fun of the game, but also for the social aspects it provides.

I think your plan is something that every player should follow from time to time. I've done it both for online and b/m play, and it has always helped me. I am by no means an expert, but I feel that you should be willing to take a shot at higher levels, evaluate your play, take stock in how you feel about the game, review your results, and decide if the game is right for you at the present time. If you move down a level, there is nothing preventing you from taking another stab later.

Good luck, and keep wearing the shirt!

Brian
Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Steam:

I don't think your issue is this hand but that you took this beat on a kill pot with cards you couldn't lay down. I don't know how the kill works in Indy but if it's pot size based (not 2 wins in a row) you can expect huge swings in you BR, luck plays more of a factor. I played Foxwoods 5-10 with a full kill after the pot size is $100 or greater and I was always way up or down my limit. I went down to non-kill 4-8, re-evaluated my game and then jumped to non-kill 10-20 where there is more consistency in the play and the pot size. At this game, I am experiencing more typical results and the bad beats don't bother me because of the consistency of the pot sizes.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 AM

your the man. thanks for the help. hope to see you there.