Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 PM

Default SSHE adjustmetns for SSNL

What adjustments, if any, should be made to the Small Stakes Hold'em advice in the book when playing SSNL?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: SSHE adjustmetns for SSNL

probably infinite
Old 12-17-2005, 04:35 AM

Don't minbet!

Check this one: FAQ
Old 12-17-2005, 04:36 AM

Limit and No-limit Hold 'Em are completely different animals.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:01 AM

Implied odds are huge in NL and almost inconsequential in Limit.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Limit and no-limit are so different they might as well have different names.

If you try to play no-limit by 'adjusting' what you learned in SSNL (excellent as it it), you will lose. Take it from someone who made the switch from limit.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit and no-limit are so different they might as well have different names.

If you try to play no-limit by 'adjusting' what you learned in SSNL (excellent as it it), you will lose. Take it from someone who made the switch from limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I wish I never learned limit first.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Agree. I wish I never learned limit first.

[/ QUOTE ]

NAh, I think learning limit first helps> Its easier to understand direct pot odds, starting hands values (although they are a different in NL)and the advantage of position. Plus you can't lose a good chunk of your new role at once.

Obviously the switch takes some major adjustments, but I think for me at least, learning limit first was really benificial.

Of course I played it till my first 200bb downswing then i was like [censored] this. switched to NL and never looked back.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 PM

I just made this switch myself a couple of weeks ago and the only thing that I found is being able to read the board and figure a range of hands. This after about 100k hands of limit. Position is so important, and bet sizes. I think having some experience is good but you really need to learn by playing, so start small and play tight and evolve your game from there.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:08 PM

1. It's a game of position. You make the bulk of your money in position.
2. Play obvious poker, NEVER NEVER NEVER try anything fancy with low-limit players, they don't understand. Remember, they think in terms of the strength of their hand and they cannot be bluffed. There are too many guys who will go too far with any piece of the board.
3. There are a lot of players who make very obvious moves like flopping a set, calling your flop continuation bet and then taking the betting lead on the turn or river. They will call large amounts of money to chase draws and then begin the betting when they complete their hand. So, if there's a flush posibility, you want to have the better flush. Or, if a straight is possible, you want the better straight. You must be aware of the hand they have and make sure your hand is better because you will be showing it down. Hence, tighten up.
3. Higher levels, well, when you get there, you'll see. The players are better so what you want to do is wait for a sucker to sit down and play him (you're playing the player, remember) the same way you play the suckers at the lower levels and you'll be taking his money.
If I understand your question properly, what adjustments need to be made, read Phil Gordon's new book or HOH 1, those books should give you an idea of playing and betting in NL hold 'em. Phil's starting hand charts are even available on his website.