Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Big Multi-way Pots w/ Big Draws for me: What\'s your line? 3 Hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: SB is pretty donktastic (results show this too), I have no idea what he has, but I'm really not that concerned with him. Button is a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousity, what does "pretty donktastic" mean exactly? Does it mean that he'll only show aggression when he hits a flop hard while playing passively and calling down with non-nut draws and weak made hands? If this is the case then you should probably be folding here as you are sandwiched between somebody who is "pretty donktastic" but just got really aggressive (which seems to be out of character unless by "pretty donktastic" you mean LAG) and a button whose play you respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a bad LAG - not so much aggressive, but just.. bad moves. he showed down AA at the end of this hand, yeah - that's what I mean by donktastic.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the 89[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or at best call and see what happens. Raise is pretty piss poor IMO. I would lead for pot on the other two, unless you think CO will definitely bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise initially. I called, button raised, SB called, action on me again.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:41 PM

Fold all 3 out of position to the preflop raiser.

Short of that, I'd say:

Hand 1: Raise to $50, fold to a push from either player unless the preflop raiser pushes and the UTG calls. Then you might as well play a 3-way huge pot with your draw. The problem here is that UTG either has a set/two-pair or he's semi-bluffing with a higher draw. He might even have JT, in which case you only have flush outs.

Hand 2: Bet $15 and hope to take it down. If you get a caller and checked to you on the turn, then take a free card. Bad luck, though, if you get a chaser with a higher flush draw.

Hand 3: Bet $30 and be willing to go all the way with it. Here's your hand vs a AA or AQ

Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 6s 3s Qh
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qs Js 493 49.80 497 50.20 0 0.00 0.498
Ad Ah 497 50.20 493 49.80 0 0.00 0.502

And

Qs Js 453 45.76 525 53.03 12 1.21 0.464
Qc Ad 525 53.03 453 45.76 12 1.21 0.536

You're a little worse off if villain has a single big spade.

Your also way behind a set, if MP has 66 or 33.

Qs Js 298 30.10 692 69.90 0 0.00 0.301
3c 3d 692 69.90 298 30.10 0 0.00 0.699

A big pot 3-way might be AsAx, a set of 6s and you:

Qs Js 224 24.81 679 75.19 0 0.00 0.248
3d 3h 583 64.56 320 35.44 0 0.00 0.646
As Ac 96 10.63 807 89.37 0 0.00 0.106

Here you have a 3:1 shot.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold all 3 out of position to the preflop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna play suited connectors one to the right of the preflop raiser in raised multi-way pots all day long. IMO this is definitely in position, as 90% of pots are checked to raiser, who very often bets, leaving me last to act on the flop (which is generally the only street that matters in multi-way raised pots given 100bb stack sizes).

I'm willing to play many hands against my opponents at these limits in any position simply because I feel I can outplay them enough to be very profitable (if there is a dangerous enough player at the table for me to fear him, I'll play drastically different).

The rest of your post makes alot of sense, good stuff, thanks.

BTW - Hand #3: I bet $19 into $29, button goes all-in with a set of 6s, I call & fail to improve. I'm not that unhappy with this (risk averse I am not), but I suppose a full pot sized bet would have set me up a bit better odds wise. My move probably gave me an escape hatch out of this hand which I didn't take - folding here to a good player's push could be the best play.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to play many hands against my opponents at these limits in any position simply because I feel I can outplay them enough to be very profitable .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a huge leak. They may be terrible and you may be great, but calling preflop raises with worse hands hurts your EV badly. There's no need for it unless your loan shark wants his money in the next five minutes. Pick a better spot.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to play many hands against my opponents at these limits in any position simply because I feel I can outplay them enough to be very profitable .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a huge leak. They may be terrible and you may be great, but calling preflop raises with worse hands hurts your EV badly. There's no need for it unless your loan shark wants his money in the next five minutes. Pick a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily dominated hands like AJ/QK/KJ/QJ - sure, calling raises with these is usually a losing venture (yes I know one of these hands is QJs) - but small to medium suited connectors and small-medium pocket pairs are hands I'll play against a ton of player's preflop raises, especially in multi-way pots. If this is a leak then the 275k hands in my PT database must be a fluke - according to poker patterns I'm seriously profitable in any raised pot situation where I see the flop.