Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Do you call an all-in for nearly half your stack on a draw?

$10 3-Table MTT

You're in the BB. No reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

CO (t960)
Button (t2310)
SB (t1210)
BB (t2590)
UTG (t1700)
MP1 (t2280)
MP2 (t1270)

BB is dealt: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t60</font>, MP1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60, Button calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1180</font>.

Do you call the SB's check-raise all-in for almost half of your stack getting less than 6-4 on your money? Are you concerned about players behing you? What do you put the SB on?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Do you call an all-in for nearly half your stack on a draw?

[ QUOTE ]

Do you call the SB's check-raise all-in for almost half of your stack getting less than 6-4 on your money?

[/ QUOTE ]

um. no.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put the SB on?[/i] [ QUOTE ]

doesn't matter. probably a jack. too many reasons not to call. too early, bad odds, etc.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 PM

You can't call in this spot. I'm curious to know what the more experienced posters think of the bet of 60. I can kinda understand it as a confusion tactic, but don't think it was a good idea on balance.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Easy fold, with that many callers, the probability that there is at least one more flush draw out there is likely.

The half pot bet was a nice semi-bluff, but to all the callers and the check-raise of the table all-in its an easy fold.

If you make it and win, nice gamble...but its still early - much better spots.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Does anyone like raising to 250 preflop, here? No one has shown aggression, and maybe we pick up this loose change, and our hand isn't terrible heads up.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:18 PM

No, if you're called you're going to be faced with tough decisions out of position. I'd rather make that move with a hand like 72o or AA.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't call in this spot. I'm curious to know what the more experienced posters think of the bet of 60. I can kinda understand it as a confusion tactic, but don't think it was a good idea on balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was a good idea either. It's too small a bet into too many people who haven't acted yet to reliably fold people out, and with this many people in the pot I think people are generally going to think a flush draw is out there if you happen to hit, so I'm not anxious to build a big pot here that's unlikely to grow much when I'm actually good. Check and call if you're getting close to correct immediate odds, otherwise I think you can fold this quite happily.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$10 3-Table MTT

You're in the BB. No reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

CO (t960)
Button (t2310)
SB (t1210)
BB (t2590)
UTG (t1700)
MP1 (t2280)
MP2 (t1270)

BB is dealt: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t60</font>, MP1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60, Button calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1180</font>.

Do you call the SB's check-raise all-in for almost half of your stack getting less than 6-4 on your money? Are you concerned about players behing you? What do you put the SB on?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, there is 450 in the pot, and 1120 to call. 1570:1120= 1.4:1.

Best case scenario, you have 9 spades, 3 aces and run run straight (89, KQ) - 13 outs total, which is even money with 2 cards to come. If you knew that, you would call.

But what if someone else has a spade draw? You have less outs.

It could be the all in has KsQs or 9s8s or Qs9s, in which case you are about even money.

But it is more likely he has 2 pair or a set, in which case you have about 8 outs - ie 2:1 dog. (bigger dog if one of the other callers has spades)

On balance, you should fold.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM

I'm more interested in the SB raising all in for 1180 in a t390 pot. Especially given that this hand occurs early in the tournament, that just seems stupid; even if he's got a set, just raising to t400 makes it incorrect for pretty much anyone to call. The size of the raise just screams "please don't call", and coming after he checked the flop in an unraised pot?? I'd be more apt to put him on a pure bluff or another draw than a stronger hand than ace high.

But of course you can't call off half your chips at this stage in the tournament on a flush draw, anyway. If he's bluffing more power to him--he just conned you out of t90, and all he had to do was risk his entire stack.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Interesting. Sorry to deceive.

I was actually the SB in this hand, and not the BB!

I was interested to know what people thought of the BB's call after I check-raised all-in. I had AJ and believed I had the best hand at that time. The chips in the middle would boost my stack by a third, and I wanted them. It looked as if everyone else was looking for a cheap turn card.

Was it a bad play on my part?