Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Stuck... now what?

Ok so my roll is $1,380. I consistently beat .5/1 and 1/2 at PP, by no means a great feat, but the winnings I get there are not really significant to my roll anymore. In addition I started playing poker to make real money, however I am still affected by the 2/4 stakes. I fire up a 2/4 table, have AK fizzle 3 times, my QQ get rivered and all the sudden I'm down $80 and I'm like "AHHHHH!!!! 80 bucks!"

What's the answer? I mean, I'm tired of grinding out a few bucks a night at micros and apparently don't have the mental resolve to play 2/4. Should I just give up on "serious" poker and play for fun every now and then?

Should I just become a NL tourney player (how I originally got into hold em of course)? What? Anyone else dealing with this sort of thing?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Stuck... now what?

single or 2-table 2/4.
focus on very high-quality poker.
feel the thrill of winning a $100+ pot.
get addicted & fall in [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] all over again... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2005, 01:02 AM

Or play 1/2 until you have $2.4k. When you are grossly overrolled, it won't feel as bad. Do you bonus whore?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or play 1/2 until you have $2.4k. When you are grossly overrolled, it won't feel as bad. Do you bonus whore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah, my roll is well, uh, let's say 1K+ BB for the limit I play now. I'll move up at 5K BB [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Boy am I a puss.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah, my roll is well, uh, let's say 1K+ BB for the limit I play now. I'll move up at 5K BB [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Boy am I a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

No your not a puss. You are just very conserv.... wait... yes your a puss :P.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No your not a puss. You are just very conserv.... wait... yes your a puss :P.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude . . . . . . . I know.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:41 AM

If it helps you play good poker nothing wrong with that
Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 AM

Right now my BR is about 2500 and I'm playing .5/1 full. I played 1/2 for about 10K hands, had decent success but felt that I wasn't playing great poker. So I dropped back down, re-read some books, and will play 10K hands of .5/1 before going back to 1/2 again, though I still think my BB/100 could be higher (currently at around 2.5). While I know I have enough of a roll to play 2/4 and am pretty sure I could manage some profit, I want to make sure I'm playing correctly before moving up.

However, I do think you should get rid of your fear of losing money. As long as you feel you're playing well, don't worry about swings. Eventually all those flopped top sets won't be continually beat by 4-flush or 4-straight boards and you'll make your money all back.