Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 06-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: YABI (Yet Another Beginning Investor)

Excellent post GeorgeF.

Taken more broadly, I think you should put your time into your most positive EV efforts. If you enjoy the field you're working in, focus on that. Until you've gotten to the top of the field you've chosen there's plenty of room for big wage/salary increases that are probably a lot higher EV than trying to invest.

On the other hand, if you try investing and are really passionate about it, maybe you should change fields.

My $.02
Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: YABI (Yet Another Beginning Investor)

You've gotten some good advice in previous posts. I'll throw out something nobody mentioned...

First and foremost, do you have credit card debt? If so, that always goes first.. pay it down/off. What's the interest rate on that credit card debt? Whatever it is you just made a guarenteed return of that% on your $1000.

As for investing, its already been said.. there are no shortcuts, you must educate yourself through reading. Here is a good list that I am working my way thru: http://www.bobbrinker.com/books.asp. Ivestors Business Daily (investors.com) is also a great daily financial paper. I would be suprised if your college library did not carry it.

Good luck!