Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Gambooling vs. shorties w/ A-A-x-x

Hero is LP w/ 40BB.
Villian is SB w/ 18BB.

Hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

(I can here to chorus now: Fold preflop! Table has been super weak passive for the last 50 hands or so. Only hands raised pre-flop were either by me or by someone with big pairs.)

Anyway, back to the hand. Several limpers, Hero limps, BB checks and SB pots it, folds around to Hero and Button who both call.

Total Pot = 12BB

Flop is: [2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

SB pots it for 12BB, Hero ?

How many people gamble here with top pair and no flush draw? Even if it is slightly -EV, would you do it for metagame purposes?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Gambooling vs. shorties w/ A-A-x-x

Calling/raising here would be ridiculous.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 PM

I have a weakness for stacking off shorties (case in point) but this spot does not look good. You've already put SB on a hand that you are at best a 2:3 dog against, and there is a second foe to act.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Chimi, I was at that table. It wasn't weak tight. It was loose passive. People made ridiculous calls of huge bets (but rarely offerred big bets themselves). You need no metagame in a situation like that, just patience.

I think the preflop call is terrible. When no one in front of you calls the bet, you are calling with what you know to be an underdog and very little in the way of implied odds since his stack is so short.

I think its an easy call postflop. A single pair isn't that far behind aces here, even aces + flush draw.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:01 PM

You were the button that dropped, eh?

I agree, pre-flop was horrible. I think I characterized the table as weak passive, which is a bit mixed up. I meant loose passive.

I knew his hand and figured I had the equity post flop. I also know that I am not great at this game. Just trying to learn.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 PM

Yes, I called with a small double pair but whiffed. I called hoping to stack you, not SB. I would have mucked if you had.

Don't make the play of the short stacks correct. Its so easy to stack them when they become overly commited to weak hands and draws that you need not bother calling them down when they have AA.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called hoping to stack you, not SB. I would have mucked if you had.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had called behind, I would immediately have gone limp. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After about 10K hands, I might have graduated from the guppy school.