Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Semibluff ok, but turn bet wrong?

$10 Online MTT
1st hour
Blinds 30/60

EP Limps
MP (T5000) Raises to 120

I'm on the Button with T3000 and have 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I decide to call the min raise thinking that (a) I have position, and (b) if I hit the flop I may get paid well by the big stack.

SB+BB both fold.
EP calls 60.

Pot=T450

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

So I have an OESD.

EP checks.
MP makes a small bet of 140.

Pot=T590

I decide to raise to 400. I want to try and represent an Ace and hopefully win the pot right now. And I still have my draw to fall back on.

EP fold.
MP calls my raise.

Pot=T1250

Ok, now I'm likely in trouble if I don't hit my draw.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP checks.

Ok, my raise on the flop has given me the free river. Should I take it? Or should I bet again to try and win the pot?

I bet about half the pot.
MP calls.

Pot=~T2500

River is a blank.

MP checks.
I decide to give it up. It looks likely MP will call a bluff at this point.

Alternatively, I guess I could have called the 140 flop bet getting ~4-1. But I'm really trying to play more aggressive poker these days.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Semibluff ok, but turn bet wrong?

I would take the freecard with that board... its noting much he can have exept an Ace... and he wont fold that often. Either u check or bet pot, depending on the read of the guy. Half the pot is to small bet to make him fold.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 AM

Right or wrong, when I decide to represent like this I ALWAYS bet the turn. The times I take the pot right there (IMO) massively outweigh the times I get re-popped, as a call isn't the end of the world.

I'd love to hear other responses, as this may be an unrealized leak in my game even though it "feels" like it's long-term +ev...
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM

I just call on the flop. In a $10 online tournament, people like to play weak aces and don't like to fold them when an ace hits. He gave you the right price to draw for your straight, so take it.

If I had a strong draw, a flush draw with a straight draw, overcards, or a pair, where I am close to even or better against top pair, I would play it aggressively on the flop. Here, you are a 2-1 underdog against top pair. If both players checked, I would probably bet the flop on a semibluff.

I think you are throwing away chips by raising the flop and betting the turn.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

In the past I would always just have called on the flop, but lately I'm trying to get more aggression in my game. I've read advice saying "don't just call, raise!", so I'm trying to do that a bit more. But, when you get a situation where you're being offered odds to call, is it fine to just call?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM

It's fine to call with a straight draw. It depends in the situation. Here the play is loose and it is likely that your opponent has top pair and doesn't want to fold it. Early in a $10 online tournament the play is generally very loose, so it is not a good idea to bluff or semibluff a lot.