Old 08-19-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 2005 Hyundai Elantra vs a 2005 Honda Civic

[ QUOTE ]
even the clock failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM

if you can afford it, how about a prius or a civic hybrid?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Yeah those are out of my price range.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's up with me and insulting other people's cars lately? First it's the guy with the BMW 330Ci SMG, and now it's the Hyundai crowd. C'mon people, where are the GM drivers?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive a 2k Bonneville, the only problem I have had with it was some crazy woman hitting one car, then swirving out, then swirving back into my rear end.

Melch
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM

I drive a 2005 Civic, and I like it a lot. It's kind of weak(being 4-cylinder and all) but it gets the job the done. My next car will definitely have more HP.

The dealership I went to was trying their damndest to get me in a Kia. I won't be caught dead in one of those things, there's a reason they're cheap.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Keep in mind this was back in 2001, but when I was new-car shopping then, I test drove both the Civic and the Nissan Sentra. The Sentra to me, just felt a lot better driving it. Maybe I test drove a bad Civic or something, who knows. But I ended up buying the Sentra and I haven't regretted it since.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the one thing I read in a review that I particularly didn't like was that to get the power out of the engine, it needed to rev high, which they said meant that drivers with an automatic might be wondering where the power was, and drivers with a stick would need to get used to shifting at high rpms to take advantage of the engine. I was looking at switching to an automatic, so I don't want to hear that the best bet is to stay with a stick, and that I'll have to get used to driving differenty if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Acutally just read essentially the same thing about the lower end Civics, except that it less power to begin with.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, I basically was down to a Civic or a Mazda3i, which I am planning to go drive this weekend. Although with what I want to spend, if I want to get the Mazda, it will be a pretty bare bones version.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Mazda3 is a good car too. I've got the last production year (2003.5) of Protege5, which is what the hatchback 3 replaced. It's a great little car and at the time I bought it (January 2003), it was easily the best car in the market for the price (mid teens). It excells in handling, but it's a bit underpowered. A lot of people say they prefer the Protege5 to the 3, but the 3 does have a few more interior bells & whistles and a bit bigger engine (I think that's an option, though). They're good cars. If you can go a little higher in price, then I'd check out the Impreza, but I guess maybe you can't if you can only get the barebones 3. Whichever it is, if it were me, I'be choosing between a 3, an Impreza, or a Civic.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:58 PM

The hyundai would definitely have a lower TCO, due to the warranty and lower purchase price, assuming you are going to keep it a long time. Cars are a huge waste of money, so you want to limit losses as much as possible. I don't think the Elantra hatchback looks too bad, but the Tiburon kind of hurts.

If you don't mind driving a hynudia, go ahead and buy it.

I am the proud owner of a '95 civic. 102 raging ponies. Sweet.

Manual of course: 40 mpg highway, 31 city, even though I drive like an idiot. I rule.

EDIT: and I agree that Hondas have a rep that their engines don't act nice unless they're revved quite high. I don't make significant horsepower at any point in the power band, so I can't say.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: and I agree that Hondas have a rep that their engines don't act nice unless they're revved quite high. I don't make significant horsepower at any point in the power band, so I can't say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you get you get 31/40mpg. Or would you rather have a boosted car running rich on 15mpg?