Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Financial Aid/FAFSA Loophole?

This message is for everyone in college/post-college that's familar with the whole financial aid/FAFSA process.

As one knows any student with parent(s) making over $35,000 with only one dependent in college will probably NOT qualify for any government based grants (PELL, FSEOG, and state grants (OSED Ohio; for example). My dad makes about $50K a year so I recieve $0 grants, but my Stafford Loan substidized. I do have a scholarship that pays for tuition but not room/board/books.

So I'm left borrowing the room/board porition, half from Direct Stafford Loan and the other half from a private bank (father co-signer). I am lucky, half of my education is free. But, what if I wanted to screw over Uncle Sam.

I marry another student. Instead of being dependent I am now independent. We both file our taxes "married filing jointly" declare random summer job earnings no more than $3000 or whatever. We automatically qualify for Pell and FSEOG. Our EFC would be 0.

Free money. Just for the $45 marriage license. What is possibly wrong with scenario?

Discuss.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Financial Aid/FAFSA Loophole?

Fraud?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is possibly wrong with scenario?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same sex marriages are illegal...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:24 PM

How fraud? Legal marriage, taking advantage of legal educational opportunities given to families that have limited means of finances.

Prenup before marriage of course.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One would obviously marry a close friend of the opposite gender.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 PM

If it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is.

Why cant a mexican pay me to marry her so she can become a legal american? I am sure your idea would fall into the same catergory....
Old 10-23-2005, 07:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse ŕ:</font><hr />
I marry another student. Instead of being dependent I am now independent. We both file our taxes "married filing jointly" declare random summer job earnings no more than $3000 or whatever. We automatically qualify for Pell and FSEOG. Our EFC would be 0.

Free money. Just for the $45 marriage license. What is possibly wrong with scenario?

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can file independent without getting married you know.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM

Not for FAFSA purposes. There are seven ways to file as an independent on FAFSA.

When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to the questions in Step 3 of the FAFSA (or in Step 2 of the online FAFSA, FAFSA on the Web) will determine whether you’re considered dependent on your parents or independent. If you’re considered dependent, you must report on the FAFSA your parents’ income and assets as well as your own. If you’re independent, you’ll report only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse, if you’re married). Not living with your parents or not being claimed by them on their tax form does not determine your dependency status.

For the 2004-2005 academic year, you’re an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

You were born before January 1, 1981.

You’re married as of the day you apply (or separated but not divorced).

You are or will be enrolled in a master’s or doctorate program (beyond a bachelor’s degree) at the beginning of the 2004-2005 school year.

You have children who receive more than half their support from you.

You have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you and will continue to receive more than half their support from you through June 30, 2005.

Both your parents are deceased, or you are or were (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court.

You’re a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. (A “veteran” includes students who attended a U.S. service academy and who were released under a condition other than dishonorable. For more detail on who is considered a veteran, see the explanatory notes on the FAFSA.)

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/pu...dependency.htm
Old 10-23-2005, 07:43 PM

I'll kill your parents for less than whatever you'd save by being married. PM me.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This message is for everyone in college/post-college that's familar with the whole financial aid/FAFSA process.

As one knows any student with parent(s) making over $35,000 with only one dependent in college will probably NOT qualify for any government based grants (PELL, FSEOG, and state grants (OSED Ohio; for example). My dad makes about $50K a year so I recieve $0 grants, but my Stafford Loan substidized. I do have a scholarship that pays for tuition but not room/board/books.

So I'm left borrowing the room/board porition, half from Direct Stafford Loan and the other half from a private bank (father co-signer). I am lucky, half of my education is free. But, what if I wanted to screw over Uncle Sam.

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I have 4 friends, 2 gays and 2 lesbians, who did this, and then they even saved more money living in a 2 bedroom married housing on campus.

Find a Lesbian Couple and marry one of them and then get a 2 bedroom apartment on campus and split it 3 ways and let her bang your wife [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]