Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Random police/detective question

Does anyone know how long the police will investigate a murder that lacks evidence before deeming the case unsolved?

Hypothetical: A drug deal gone wrong, it leaves two or three of the memebers of the exchange dead. Let's assume small/medium time dealers so there is no previous investigation, etc. The police have no "clues". How long until they tell the family members, "sorry, but we are no longer going to be investigating this murder..."

Thanks.
(The reasoning behind this question is completely uninteresting so please don't get excited)
Old 12-14-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Random police/detective question

It is rare that the police will ever declare a homicide case unsolved. Cases may go "inactive" when leads dry up. Many large departments have task forces or other units that will routinely re-visit these cases to see if there are any new leads. I don't see anyone ever telling a victim's family "We are giving up."
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Ok, well how long until inactive?

Basically, if one was to commit murder (in a situation similar to the hypothetical that i described) how long would it be until the murderer could breathe a sigh relief, somewhat confident that they covered their ass enough so the police most likely do not have anything to connect him to the crime?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM

I wanna say 7 years I think? I'm not positive, but i believe the Statute of Limitations prohibits any charges being brought on people for a crime committed 7 years before. But you can check me on that.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna say 7 years I think? I'm not positive, but i believe the Statute of Limitations prohibits any charges being brought on people for a crime committed 7 years before. But you can check me on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in a murder. Homicide does not have a Statute of Limitations. You kill, you can go to jail at any time in your life.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-14-2005, 06:19 PM

Um, I'm pretty sure it's called a statue of limitations.

lolllllllllll this forum sucks
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam looks more like an owl than the owl does.

If I'm ever casting a film, and need someone to play the owl, Sam's agent is getting the first phone call.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well how long until inactive?

Basically, if one was to commit murder (in a situation similar to the hypothetical that i described) how long would it be until the murderer could breathe a sigh relief, somewhat confident that they covered their ass enough so the police most likely do not have anything to connect him to the crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

No statute of limitations on murder and surely you've seen shows on TV involving cold cases, so they can never relax.