Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Default New Computer Help

I have been wanting to buy a new computer for some time now but a lot of things have gotten in the way recently. I knew I could turn to the 2+2 forums for some help so here I am. I am debating whether or not to get a Dell, an HP, one from my local computer shop, or any recommendations from everyone else reading this. I would like to get a "top of the line" one if that means anything. My current computer is from my local computer shop and have had it for about 2 years now and is great but has been very very slow lately. I have soooo many files, songs, favorites and lots of things are slowing it down and that is why im on my search for a new computer. One last thing: I would like to get a monitor that will allow for at least 6 tables with no overlap. My current monitor is only 17 inches and can only get 4 tables on it with massive overlap. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: New Computer Help

Well, let me ask you a few questions.

What speed cpu, and how much ram does your current computer have? Having lots of files will not necessarily slow it down any. Just run defrag, and any slowdown from having lots of files should be resolved. Most likely your computer is slow from having lots of installed programs (just uninstall them), spyware, and viruses. These things can all be resolved... if you want to go that route just let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Why do you want a top of the line computer? Unless you're going to be playing 3D games, there's no need for anything fancy. As long as you have something with plenty of ram (1GB+) and an athlon or P4, you'll be fine. Of course, a good hard drive is important too. You could put that money into a really nice monitor (or two).

That said, if you do end up getting a PC, either build your own or buy a Dell. Dell is the only decent manufacturer, IMO. A local shop *could* be good, but it's hard to say whether they use good components or not. They might go with cheap parts in order to make a better profit. If they will customize it for you, and you can find out exactly what parts they're using, then that would be the best option. If you want to find out that info, then post here, I can tell you my opinion on the specific parts. The important things are CPU, motherboard, ram, hard drive, and video card. Find out the manufacturer and model number of each item.

In terms of monitors, get yourself a big Apple or Dell widescreen monitor. Widescreen will give you more useable space. The aspect ratio of a widescreen monitor will be closer to the aspect ratio of the table than a regular monitor. Apple's monitors are quite awesome:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We...mp;mco=91A92F05

Visit compusa if you want to take a look at one. Just remember that Mac OS X's graphics, windows, text, etc are a little bigger than Windows, so everything will be a little smaller than what you see at the store. When you hook it up to your PC then you'll actually have more screen real estate.

One last thing... get a video card that will support multiple monitors, and keep your old 17in hooked up. Then you can have your 6 tables on the main screen, and browse the net or whatever on the second one.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 PM

First of all thanks for the excellent reply and information. I guess I misused the word I wanted to when I said "top of the line" I didn't really mean the best out there. What I have now is a 2.4GHZ 512MB ram and 80GB. I am looking for something out there with a little more space. I was browsing some Dells the other day and noticed they no longer have the same models(They now have E110, E310, and E510) If so, which one do you recommend. I saw one with I believe 3.2 GHZ, 1GB ram and 160GB which is exactly what I'm looking for for around $1200 but thats without a high quality monitor. I will try to get the specs for the new computers and prices at the local shop but they usually always run a lot higher than Dells. Thanks again
Old 11-12-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of monitors, get yourself a big Apple or Dell widescreen monitor. Widescreen will give you more useable space. The aspect ratio of a widescreen monitor will be closer to the aspect ratio of the table than a regular monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. A poker table is 800x600 (actually a bit less than 600 to account for the space taken up by the task bar). Therefore to run 4 without overlap, you need a minimum of 1600x1200 resolution. This big widescreen monitors have a resolution of 1920x1200 IIRC, which is fine, but it's not necessary. You will still only be able to fit 4 without overlap, so unless you need the widescreen monitor for some other reason, you can save quite a bit of money by just getting a normal 20-21" LCD with 1600x1200 resolution. If you have a need for the extra space and have a program that will fit in a 320 pixel wide space (maybe AIM or Winamp or something) you'll get some use out of the extra space, but otherwise it will be wasted for playing poker. The cost difference between the Dell 2001FP and 2405FPW is significant. I'm not familiar with the Apple displays, so I can't comment on those, but the same resolution needs will apply to any display you get.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Your computer is more than adequate unless you are a hardcore gamer. I would recommend that you get an external hd maybe 100gb or so which you can get online for around $100 or so and back up all your songs and such that you want to keep and then buying another stick of ram for about $50. Try running an antivirus program, spyware removal, defrag etc. If you are still running slow find a buddy that knows computers and buy him a 12 pack to reinstall windows for you.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the correction nomad... you're correct. My eyes must have been playing tricks on me.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:03 AM

When I started the Defrag it said there is not enough free space to continue but asked if I wanted to continue anyway..is this safe to do?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:06 AM

mxer, your computer is fine, if not great. You won't be able to tell much of a difference if you get a new computer (compared with reinstalling windows), unless you're a hardcore 3d gamer. If you really want to buy something, get another 512MB of ram... otherwise I honestly think you'll be dissapointed.

Other than that, you should go through some steps to get your computer running faster. First of all, right click on your task bar and click "Task Manager". Look around in there and tell me how much ram is currently in use, and how many processes are running.

Then, go to www.lavasoft.de and download adaware personal (the free one). Run that... reboot. Of course, make sure you have some sort of antivirus installed. Some are better than others... some even tend to slow your computer down a bit.

Let me know how much ram is in use, and the processes... and then we can work on trimming that down a little.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:07 AM

I don't think it'll hurt anything, but it won't be able to fully optimize your disk. How much space do you have left? Can you clean it up any?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 AM

BTW, here's the specs on the apple displays:

20in: 1680x1050
23in: 1920x1200
30in: 2560x1600

So, you'd want at least the 23in. It's deceiving, since they're widescreen (man, I'm glad nomad corrected me). The 20in will be wider than a normal 20-21in, but not as tall. The 23in will be about the same height, but wider.

The 30in should be big enough to do SIX games without overlap, if they're all 800x600.