Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Default When to move to next level (from .50/1.00)

I'm still relatively new to game (6 months now). I turned my first $100 (in October) in to $20 with relative ease, so I went back to the books (focussing on HEFAP), studied hard w/ TTH and went back in.

I started to play the 0.50/1.00 tables at Party. Just under 2,500 hands later, I am at $300. I don't mind staying at this level longer, but some of the plays these people are making are getting to me. Last night, I had my AA (catching A on flop) busted by someone who called 3 bets cold pre-flop and 4 bets cold on flop w/ 92o making the runner runner straight. This seems to be more typical the more i play during the week.

I'm sure there are still very loose players at the 1/2 tables, but are there as many?

What can I expect as far as toughness/looseness/aggressiveness at the 1/2's compared to the .50/1's?

is 150BB enough to keep me at the 1/2 tables?

Thanks,

EP
Old 02-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: When to move to next level (from .50/1.00)

Do a search in this forum or small stakes.....this could quite possibly be the most frequently asked question in these forums
Old 02-20-2004, 03:48 PM

You should stay at .5/1 until you get over results oriented thinking. When you have AA, you want someone with 92o to call 3 or 4 bets cold needing runner runner.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:03 PM

For suckouts like that, it always helps for me to remind myself that most of the money I've won can attributed to players making the exact same plays and not hitting their outs. Since losing hands are automatically mucked, you don't get instant satisfaction from your wins at quite the same level as the instant annoyance from your losses. Using PokerTracker to go back and view some of the mucked hands I've beaten has really lightened my perspective.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:23 PM

Pete,

I also turned $100 to about $350 in 2500 hands at $0.5/1. These last 500-1000 hands I've turned it into about $300 though so I'll stay around a little longer. I think it's nice to play awhile at the low limits where you can try out different styles. Once I figure out whether the current downswing is caused either by (1) a misguided attempt at being more aggressive with hands, (2) I suck and I was just really lucky before, or (3) "stuff" happens then I'll move up. Personally I would rather experience my first big downswing at the lower limits.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Read This and read the one that is a link too. Also make sure that you mail Al for the article, its great.
I think 1/2 is alot harder, atleast I make less there than I did at .5/1...
Old 02-21-2004, 02:24 AM

One thing you can try is different sites. Do a little bonus whoring. Sometimes it seems to me that the different sites play a little differently. Another thing to try is the $10+1 sit and gos. Or some 6 max games. I know Prima's got 6 max fifty cent games.