Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:25 AM

Default 3-6 SH, contuation bets causing frustration...

Hello,

I am fairly new to 6max play, and the one thing I keep having trouble is with continuation bets after u raise preflop and miss.

I seems like my cont. bets are almost always called, which in it self is not surprising, but I always feel so lost when a blank hits on the turn.

There are many similiar situations. For instance, I raise AJ on CO, and get called by the blinds. I cont bet, both call, and cont bet again trying to get them to fold. they call, and I check the river feeling like an idiot after they call me down with bottom pair and take down the pot.

Or in other situations, I am first to act and bet out on missed flops, get called, and feel lost when I miss the turn as well. I would den proceed to check the turn like a lil girl and be faced with a bet, or others time i would bet and get raised.

Also very frustrating is when I 3-bet late pos. raiser with AK/AQ etc, and miss the flop. I would lead out with a bet of course and get called, and I feel almost obligated to bet with Ace high cuz if I check they could be betting say KQ, AJ etc based on the fact I showed weakness. Den I call them down with my AK/AQ high and lose to middle pair or a small/med pkt pair.

Please help me out!!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: 3-6 SH, contuation bets causing frustration...

There are important details that you are leaving out. They are the board and your opponents' tendencies. You also need to consider the number of opponents you have (you noted this only once.) Try to figure out what kinds of hands your opponents are calling you with.

An example:

3 way flop in a raised pot, you're in position with AJo on a K94r board. They check to you, you bet and get 2 callers. Turn is an offsuit 8. They check to you again. Betting here is probably throwing money away.

You're allowed to check the turn and play poker on the river. It doesn't make you a little girl.