Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: To Those Who say That A Well Trained Devout Catholic

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, you, as others here, have an extremely narrow idea about what it means to be religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enlighten us.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Of course I won't be able to enlighten you with regard to this, and I have no ability or good enough tools to do so. However, I'd only say that I find the fact that people here think they discuss "religion" while in fact discussing almost nothing more than some very very simplistic and rather banal aspects of Christianity, to be quite amazing.

Has anyone on those endless "religion" discussions ever mentioned any religious text (or a text about religion) other than the bible? I don't think so. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM

I once mentioned the new testaments of the mormon religion.

Now they were absolutely rediculous [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once mentioned the new testaments of the mormon religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, this is exactly what I mean. The only non-bible religious text you have mentioned in those discussions about "religion" is "the new testaments of the mormon religion.". This is beyond amazing IMO. In a way it's like thinking that all human-beings are living, and ALWAYS lived, in Los-Angeles or something (Yes, I know it's an exaggeration I'm making here here, but I make it, so my point will be more clear. And I mean just that.)
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 PM

BTW I'm British, there was a dry-sarcasm element to the above post.

Maybe I should have put more smileys in.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I'm British, there was a dry-sarcasm element to the above post.

Maybe I should have put more smileys in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about missing it... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It was extremely dry, I'll tell you that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] which is prefectly fine, actually.

(BTW there's the "paradox" about smileys and sarcasm: when you are being sarcastic and add smileys, it's not sarcasm anymore, and if you don't add them, well, there's a good possibility no one will get it, so not much sarcasm in that).
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM

what is superficial about the question? the point is a basic one, but is still fundamental to the religion issue. the importance is that this point hasn't been fullly established amongst many posters and, therefore, needs to be emphasized.

i'm disappointed by your critique of david's post because you didn't really provide any substantive thought. you just said he was wrong and troubled over and over again. tell us why he is wrong, what issues you believe are more important, and specifically why this post has no importance to the issue of religion.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fundamentalist Christian (believes the bible literally)

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "believes the bible literally?"
Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is superficial about the question? the point is a basic one, but is still fundamental to the religion issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is "fundamental to the religion issue" in this question?

[ QUOTE ]
you just said he was wrong and troubled over and over again. tell us why he is wrong, what issues you believe are more important, and specifically why this post has no importance to the issue of religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he is "wrong"? I'm not sure it's my post you're replying to, but in any case, this post "has no importance to the issue of religion", for the same reason that most posts/threads on this forum have no importance to the issue of religion. You are so into your own little discussions, that you don't see that you are not discussing the issue of religion at all, you are simply going again and again at some questions that as worded are very uninteresting (like this one here) and do nothing more than repeating your "opinions" about your own or others "beliefs".

When you also consider the fact that some significant % of posters here have absolutely zero idea about the things they talk about (and I mean absolutely zero idea, as with Peter666 in this thread, and probably in many others as well), this is really becoming embarassing.

What issues are "more important"? Well, you might very well say that the issue that this thread "presents" is important, and I won't be able to say anything. I would suspect, however, that you have never read or encountered a truely interesting discussion about religion, some aspect of religion, a specific religion or religion at large, and that's why you think those rather idiotic and repetitive discussions around here are "important".
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM

I don't know that anyone thinks these discussions are important and that may be where you are misconstruing things. These discussions are a diversion, for me personally, and a way to spar intellectually.
Is table tennis important?

g