Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 AM

Default two 9\'s vs a tough player.

Canterbury 30/60 full table. Villain in the hand is CMO - a youngish (28yo?) high-limit(100/200 - 300/600) live pro who travels to play quite a bit...who's game is probably pretty similar to mine although he's more than likely a better live player than I am. He's been playing more reasonable than he usually would in this game(from what I hear he used to splash around quite a bit like I used to) but at the same time not his A game. I've been playing my A- game and I'm sure he's noticed I'm not screwing around. He's raised hands like 97s and QTo in ep. We've golfed a few times together but haven't actually played poker together until today. So we know eachother decent but really haven't played many hands together. So far in the perhaps 5 hands we've played together things have been pretty honest and there have been showdowns. He's check/called down and I checked behind on the river twice and his hand was good both times.

He raises utg, I 3 bet 99, folded to him and he calls.

Flop QJTr He checks, I bet, he flings 6 chips out there. I'm retarded. I don't know what the best line is here. Anyone?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: two 9\'s vs a tough player.

call and raise a non-ace turn. That's my default anyways.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury 30/60 full table. Villain in the hand is CMO - a youngish (28yo?) high-limit(100/200 - 300/600) live pro who travels to play quite a bit...who's game is probably pretty similar to mine although he's more than likely a better live player than I am. He's been playing more reasonable than he usually would in this game(from what I hear he used to splash around quite a bit like I used to) but at the same time not his A game. I've been playing my A- game and I'm sure he's noticed I'm not screwing around. He's raised hands like 97s and QTo in ep. We've golfed a few times together but haven't actually played poker together until today. So we know eachother decent but really haven't played many hands together. So far in the perhaps 5 hands we've played together things have been pretty honest and there have been showdowns. He's check/called down and I checked behind on the river twice and his hand was good both times.

He raises utg, I 3 bet 99, folded to him and he calls.

Flop QJTr He checks, I bet, he flings 6 chips out there. I'm retarded. I don't know what the best line is here. Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

turn a K and river an A.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is lighting money on fire
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is lighting money on fire

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement.

I think its a pretty clear fold. I might peel and fold turn UI since you have position. However, sounds like dude plays good, no reason to expect him to go off if you happen hit your 8.

-blake
Old 10-06-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get that at all, i dont think out hand has enough showdown value to put in 2 BB's. Maybe i''m oversimplifying this, but why not c/c the turn and c/f the river UI? What hand in his opening range is not ahead of right now, 88? Doesnt seem worth it to me.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get that at all, i dont think out hand has enough showdown value to put in 2 BB's. Maybe i''m oversimplifying this, but why not c/c the turn and c/f the river UI? What hand in his opening range is not ahead of right now, 88? Doesnt seem worth it to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

With villains range, why do you think calling the turn getting around 6-1 is profitable?

No way we have 10 full outs in this pot. I say at best 6.
And any king or 9 is an action killer. If a K comes, its not like we are happy, if a 9 comes we aren't happy.

As for the raising the turn option,
I just don't think we are pushing a good player out of this pot. I realize AJ, AQ A10 and some other weak hands are possible, but I think trying to run a bluff through a high limit live game pro is just straight spewing.

-blake
Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this line is crazy, pls explain.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 AM

a good way to think about this hand is to put yourself in his situation.......

"You've been raising alot of crap preflop and now you are 3-bet by the guy whom you know is a good player.......so your thinking should be unless I hit this flop hard I have to give my opponnent credit for a good hand.....

The flop is QJT.

You check...... your 3-betting pal who's been playing his A- game bet out, now you checkraise him.

What hands must you have here to checkraise him? Why are you checkraising him? Are you trying to move him off KK, AA, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, or AQ? You are giving him credit for a hand here...... but what is it that you have that makes you want to checkraise him?

So now you just checkraised an opp. whom you gave credit for a hand..... looks like you must have him beat..... why else would you donate to him..... are you trying to be cool with ATo?

Are you trying to prove to him you have a bigger shlong?

I don't think I need to tell you what I would do here. I think you know the answer, but you are putting such a big probability on the fact that he's bluffing you or trying to move you off a hand.... why??
Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a good way to think about this hand is to put yourself in his situation.......

"You've been raising alot of crap preflop and now you are 3-bet by the guy whom you know is a good player.......so your thinking should be unless I hit this flop hard I have to give my opponnent credit for a good hand.....

The flop is QJT.

You check...... your 3-betting pal who's been playing his A- game bet out, now you checkraise him.

What hands must you have here to checkraise him? Why are you checkraising him? Are you trying to move him off KK, AA, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, or AQ? You are giving him credit for a hand here...... but what is it that you have that makes you want to checkraise him?

So now you just checkraised an opp. whom you gave credit for a hand..... looks like you must have him beat..... why else would you donate to him..... are you trying to be cool with ATo?

Are you trying to prove to him you have a bigger shlong?

I don't think I need to tell you what I would do here. I think you know the answer, but you are putting such a big probability on the fact that he's bluffing you or trying to move you off a hand.... why??

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put, and I very much agree.
Fold.