Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Ciaffone\'s omaha book

Hi all,

I already posted this in the books/software forum but figured there's many PL omaha players here.

I was about to order Ciaffone's omaha book on amazone when I read the fellowing review:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I was looking forward to this book on Omaha Holdem for several reasons: a) there are very few books on the game available and b) Bob Ciaffone has written some good books on other forms of poker. But this book gets a thumbs down and here's why:

1) It's way too short at just 106 pages. That just isn't room to even begin to go into Omaha Holdem.

2) There's very little information here: Page one is devoted to the "Popularity of the Game." Page two "The Rules". Page 3 "The Showdown." Pages 4-5 "Origin of Omaha." Pages 6-8 are about community card poker. Pages 9-13 are about betting and the blind structure. Page 14-15 are about learning to read the board in Omaha (you must use 2 cards from yourhand and 3 from the board). Pages 16-18 are about "Should you learn Omaha?". Pages 19-23 are about comparing Omaha and Texas holdem. And remember, this book is only 106 pages long so there's no much left for actual strategy.

3) Pages 91-97 are about tournaments.

4) pages 98-101 are about "Future Ideas for Omaha".

I simply found that there was barely enough information to even get started. For some reason this book is shorter than any of Ciaffone's other books even though Pot Limit Omaha
"represents the ideal form of poker" to the author. I wish there were more information here but there simply isn't. Buyer beware, this book is short, not in-depth, and will provide only the very basics of beginning Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm already a decent PL omaha HI player but I'm looking to improve my play. I got Ciaffone &amp; Ruben PL and NL book and like it enough to recommand it. I was really looking for a "in depth" look on omaha but this book seems to hold very few information.

As anyone read it? If so, what do you think of it?

thanks.

-Happy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s omaha book

what's there is very good but the reviewer is right, it's too short. it has a section on hi-lo, which i don't think was necessary, a fair-old bit of interesting but not very useful stuff, as described above, and focuses asmuch on limit omaha as pot-limit, which i was surprised by, given that plo is ciaffone's game. i'd still get it, but it is a bit disappointing compared to improve your poker and the one with reuben.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s omaha book

I agree with nicky g's assessment of the book.

I am new to Omaha High and Pot Limit. I was glad I purchased the book, but was disappointed in the content. I own Bob's three other primary books (IYP, MLH, PL&amp;NLP) and this came nowhere near to the informative presentations of the others.