Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2002, 08:32 PM

Default Is it ever right to do this?

This is a general question on a typical situation:
you have AK in LP and there were 3-4 limpers before you.You raise PF and then flop top pair (ex. A-7-2r).
One of the limpers bets into you.

This usually means they have an Ace and wants to see if you have AK or AQ. They know that if you have AK, you will raise and if you have KK or QQ, you will call or fold. I ALWAYS raise in this situation and if the original better calls only, then I know he likely has Ace-weak kicker....and if he 3 bets, he's got 2 pair or trips. SO my question is this: should I just callthe bet so he thinks I don't have AK and if he bets the turn when a brick hits, I give him a 20 shot(playing 5-10)? or should I remain predictable and just raise him on the flop.

I always raise because I want the money in there because I think I'm a favorite and to drive out the gutshots.......but I'm thinking maybe this is not always the best play.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Is it ever right to do this?

A good card player (Dynasty) once told me, "If you got it, bet it."
Old 11-27-2002, 09:28 PM

Acting strong here (as you are) will give more credibility to the times when you are bluffing or semi-bluffing. Besides, they may not believe you anyway.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:32 PM

Hey slim...

You should be raising here a vast majority of the time, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should raise in this spot every time regardless of all other circumstances.

In general, I make a point of not playing similar hands the same way every time. After a while, people begin to catch on (obviously this only applies if you play regularly with your opposition). This situation is ideal for switching up your play (A72 rainbow), as there are no gutshots/flush draws you need to make pay.

-JAA
Old 11-27-2002, 10:13 PM

If you choose to slowplay this hand, I'd pop him on the river rather than the turn.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:06 AM

Hi Slim,

I think whether you raise or not, depends on your position relative to the other limpers, and how many there are.

If the bettor acted first, and everyone has folded to you so it is headsup, then I think you are in the perfect position to call until the river, and then raise. If however, you are in between the bettor and other players who still have hands, then I think you have to raise the flop, and put as much pressure on them as possible. If there are already callers, I think you usually want to raise now.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:32 AM

Default River pop instead of turn

I assume the river pop instead of turn pop is to keep the bettor betting his weak ace instead of folding to a turn pop. But what if there are 2-3 callers? Would you make the same play?
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if the bet was from early i might wait til the turn to raise. this actually charges anyone drawing to anything more to draw. raising is always a nice default play here though. i think you have a decent assement of what players may have depnding on their reaction.

but you kind of answered the question yourself with the possible hands they may put you on if you just called. isnt that one of the main ideas? to keep them guessing...you dont have to do it that often either...

waiting to raise the turn may also slow down a 2 pair hand. then depending on your read, you can take the free showdown.

lots of options here...

b
Old 11-28-2002, 11:16 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

id agree more if this were HU...

but with callers in between, if the turn puts a draw on the board, mainly a flush draw, wouldnt you pop the turn now?
you cant charge that draw once he misses.

i think it depends on the turn card...if the turn is a blank, then i may wait for the river as you suggested. as long as the guy is still betting into the field, that is.

b
Old 11-28-2002, 12:06 PM

Are you saying that the correct play most of the time is to raise if limper bets out on the flop? If the limper is a decent player, he would normally bet out in a ragged board only if he flops a set (pocket7s) and would likely re-raise which is a text book play. What will then be your approach?