Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: The Office - US version

[ QUOTE ]
And "Coupling," the so-called British version of "Friends," is vastly superior to the American version.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought Coupling was terrible too. I rented the first few discs of the first season but stopped because the jokes were so trite and the characters boring and stereotypical. Friends is hackneyed but can be entertaining at times. Coupling was not.

I rented it because it was recommended on this board. Ugh.

DN
Old 03-25-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I thought Coupling was terrible too. I rented the first few discs of the first season but stopped because the jokes were so trite and the characters boring and stereotypical. Friends is hackneyed but can be entertaining at times. Coupling was not.

I rented it because it was recommended on this board. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the characters are rather stereotypical, but I don't think that the jokes are trite. I thought that many of the situations the characters were placed in were, albeit contrived, rather creative and funny.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the characters are rather stereotypical, but I don't think that the jokes are trite. I thought that many of the situations the characters were placed in were, albeit contrived, rather creative and funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Sorry I just thought it was a typical "I'm a man and just want sex and you're a woman and you must tame me" sitcom. I didn't laugh once in the whole show. And I love British accents, especially for comedy.

DN
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Sorry I just thought it was a typical "I'm a man and just want sex and you're a woman and you must tame me" sitcom. I didn't laugh once in the whole show. And I love British accents, especially for comedy.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I never got coupling neither wasnt that good. If you liked that though you will probably like Game on its a mid ninties show that was quite good. Also had a very nice young lady starring. You also might like "3 pints of lager and a packet of crisps" a more childish comedy all about sex and drinking.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:05 AM

I wasn't expecting much from this first episode. Borrowing the jokes and plot lines from the British series was probably just the best way to get a pilot done, and that's all this is, a pilot.
The scenes from next weeks episode look original, and I'm assuming that the writers will branch out and follow their own plotlines in future once they establish how the new actors will be playing the characters.
So far I think the biggest problem this show is going to have to overcome in the translation to American tv is the temptation to write a sitcom with one liner punch lines and wacky plots. The beauty of the original show was that much of the dialogue seemed realistic in that it reflected the shallow awkward conversation of banal everyday life, and it did not rely so much on outright jokes as much as the reaction of the other characters to the action.
Also Steve Carell seems to be having a difficult time realizing that the humor from the boss character that he plays comes from the total lack of awareness that he is being a jerk all the time, an not neccesarily the dumb stuff that he does. Carell is just trying to play a clown.
Basically, I might be able to watch this show if I concentrate on forgetting everything about the original series, and completely separating the two from eachother in my mind. I predict it will last 2 seasons.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would venture it's possible to enjoy this if you haven't seen the original (i haven't)
Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would venture it's possible to enjoy this if you haven't seen the original (i haven't)

[/ QUOTE ]

You should remedy this. Netflix it up.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Making this into an American version is just a huge mistake. Ricky Gervais is absolutely perfect for the role, and once you have seen him play it you can't see anyone else play it.

The Office wanted to go out on top. They screwed that up by making a crappy American version. Hopefully they'll do two more British seasons to get back on top. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen the original and I found it hysterical. So yes, it is possible.

edit: the above opinion relates to the Office, not Coupling.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:00 PM

The funny part here is that all of these comments pretty much apply to the american version of coupling versus the british one. I expect a similiar fate....