Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2002, 12:14 PM

Default Some question about no limit starting hands !!

Hi Guys,
I know that in limit holdem games that any two suited cards are playable from the Sb for half a bet or in the BB defending your blind to one raise but what about no limit holdem. Example i have 37 suited in Sb two limpers to me and i complete is this ok????
what about if i had 24 suited???
How about if there is a raise to twice the size of the BB and there is one caller or its just headsup do u call with any two suited cards??

Thankyou for ur help,
-MJ
Old 12-07-2002, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Some question about no limit starting hands !!

It depends upon how well you play postflop. And how deep the money is relatative to the raise you're facing.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-08-2002, 03:55 AM

Default 1 Secret Live of NL Poker

I am going your questions while I try to state the secret to NL hldm at least how I see it. In live NL starting hand quality is almost meaningless if a player has 100 to 200 times the size of the preflop bet. Most players dont realize that for a great player any hand is playable as long as it only cost a fraction of his/her stack. As an important as starting hand quality is in limit hldm, it is equally as uminportant in no limit hldm. The true nl player makes almost all of his/her EV after the flop. This is gained from reads and being able to calculate proper pot odds and implied odds, and taking advantage of when there oppenents dont. Now before you go and call with every hand your dealt remember there are very few truly great nl players, i dont know any personally (maybe greg) but it still does stop me from aspiring to be one, but this is not an easy skill to learn. Just my $.02 hope it helps.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:39 AM

in no limit, play after the flop will make or break you. but in no way are just two suited cards playable like you say even in limit. you have your wires crossed here for some reason. there are certain times they are playable but in general no. go back to hfap for your limit advice.
plus anytime you play weak hands you better be a stronger player than whom you are against.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:10 PM

Default no limit strategy

you have to start thinking more about what hand your going to build. small suited 3 gappers build a small flush. i dont want to build a small flush against limpers. you're likely to get overflushed for wayy too much money. i never limp w/ small connectors only with Ace small cause i'm building the nuts and i want 45s to come in with me so i can break him. if hes smart and raises with his small connectors i'll have to fold my ace rag and wont get the chance. if yu cant raise with a hand that's building second best fold it. in your situation against two limpers i raise 100% youll take it down there over 50% and then take it down on the flop 75% more, once in a while you'll even hit a hand and it will b very disguised. if its four limpers to me instead of 2 or if my opponents are wild and loose i just fold this cheese and wait for a better chance to get my money in.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:46 AM

I like Ray Zee's post ( I know awfully big of me considering how much vaster my experience has been [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) I mean aren't we getting dragged a wee bit too off the deep end with implied odds, stack sizes, the fact that post flop play is more important (name a game in which it isn't--yeah I know in Omaha it's less crucial than in HE but it's still more crucial than pre flop) reading and bullying the opponets, etc, and ignoring the question about starting hands?

What I'm trying to say is if 65s sucks in limit except in late position, wouldn't it suck even more (yes all things being equal--you don't have 100x the other player's stacks) especially since the BB, or the first bettor for that matter might raise the pot or tap with a 66 or AK?

Guess part of the excitement in NL is desperado and pure bluff moves, but isn't there an argument for being (at least at the beginning) even MORE CONSERVATIVE with your starting hand requirements than in limit?

Just asking. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 05:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since mistakes are magnified greatly in No Limit, a bad player (if he plays at all) should tighten up his starting hand requirements, and a great player can loosen his starting requirements somewhat. The great player can then outplay the inferior players on the flop and beyond.