Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Help for a Newbie (ish) please ?

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the response. You and others using Poker Tracker may be interested in this article:
http://www.internettexasholdem.com/p...as-a-beginner/

Cya around,
Rich
Old 01-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Please use the URL tags (to the right of the greamlins) for long links like that.

This is nothing personal against you. It's always important to remind people of this. It stretches out the the thread and makes us all suffer through the dreaded "horizontal scrolling" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Stakes - Hands - VP$IP - PFR - BB/100
.05/.10 - 750 - 30.80 - 9.07 - 20.24
.10/.20 - 3177 - 25.31 - 7.93 - 21.21

Of course 3K hands is nothing..... but:

Most experts would probably agree that 25% VPIP was too a tad too high. However, I dont think thats too bad for very loose games, and I did pretty well at microlimits with similar stats. You could tighten up a bit.

PFR looks about right.

Your BB/100 is sweeeet. 20 is un-[censored]-believable and - unfortunately - unsustainable. I have never played limits that low, but I am still suprised at how much you are beating them for.

3 is considered good. You seem to be running very, very well.

Your stats look good. Have you considered investing $200 (+bonuses) at Party and taking a shot at 0.5/1? I would encourage moving up to "real" money soon, and I have confidence that you could easily beat it in the long run.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the analysis Stigmata - I really do appreciate it.

Obviously I wouldn't expect to sustain this sort of BB/100 (although I did say the same after 1000 hands. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
That's not that I think I'm a good player, because I know I'm not - however, I don't think I'm a bad player either.

Personally that is why I have now moved up to .25/.50
This should allow me to test myself, and hopefully improve my game further.

From my initial viewing of these limits, I don't see any reason why they can't be beaten (obviously not to the tune of 20BB/100 of course!), as I seem to see the same basic mistakes being made that I saw on .10/.20

However, nights like last night when I seem to run really cold, make me doubt myself. I know I shouldn't because when I have looked back at my hands, the number of mistakes I made was very, very small (I'd love to say I made none, but hey. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
I think I just need to be a bit more patient with myself, and not expect too much too soon.

I would definitely love to move up to .50/1 - but I think I'm better serving my education as it were down here at the lower limits.
This may be a bit negative, but it's the way I am unfortunately.

With a bit of luck though, in the not to distant future I could play those games.

Also, thanks to Richrf for the link - I'm going to look at that later on tonight.
I do love PT, and it seems as though it can do so much for my game, but I find it difficult to know exactly what to look for at the moment.

I'm sure in time though, I will learn the best way to use the software.

Thanks again for all your responses - you're a credit to this board.

J.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi Jonny,

I hope you find the link of some use. I looked at PT, and it is pretty complicated. Right now I am trying to figure out Texas Hold'em Inspector. If you haven't looked at the product, I think it is worth a look. But judging by your game, you may be well beyond this product by now.

Hope you keep us informed of your progress.

Cya around,
Rich