Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Look Mom/Dad I won 12K

[ QUOTE ]
When you start making more than your parents then a certain degree of understanding is in place. It is no longer a fluke.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the important milestone for me. When I started pulling in more per month then they did combined, I finally got respect.

Before this point, it was "stop wasting your time". Not that I cared what they said, but they didn't approve of it until recently. My mom telling my grandma how I bought my new car when my grandma thought I didn't work must have been a fun conversation... (my grandma is the witchiest woman you could ever imagine)
Old 08-06-2005, 02:25 PM

You have to understand that parents who were brought up their whole lives to believe that the only way to do anything positive with your life was go to school and cram out a 9 to 5 job will have no understanding whatsoever of making money through "poker". Poker is associated with gambling, most people don't realize that it IS a game that can be beat (which benefits us since most people dont take the time to learn). And to the original poster, i have a hard time believing your dad makes more than a winning player at the 100/200 limit games or 2000 NL. Just treat the game as a hobby and don't bother trying to explain it to people who are clueless, it will only frustrate you. You can show them all the graphs you want and your consistent winnings over the long haul but in their close mindedness all they will associate poker with is gambling and a waste of money. It's like trying to convince someone whose christian there isnt a god (im not saying there is or isnt). They've already made their mind up on what they believe even though there obviously is no way to know 100% sure if they are right and theres no changing this to them, so don't bother.

Let them grind out the 9 to 5 every day of the week... and to most peoples parents, they arent as fortunate to make what your dad does and even low stakes players can make more than them.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:26 PM

I agree with Dave. Keep it a hobby. Don't bring it up to your parents. If you consistantly win and decide to go pro in the future, deal with the issue then.

It is hard enough to handle the monetary swings in this game with out having a family harping on you when you take a negative down swing.

Your Father is concerned because most people lose money playing poker. Being a very successful Doctor, he is most likely extremely bright and set in his opinions.

It will take several years and some huge wins to convince a professional like him your poker playing is worthwhile.

With a history of not caring about grades, you really set yourself up for coming across as irresponsible when you sing the praises of poker.

I am not trying to be mean here.

Good luck in poker, but when you move out drop the guilt and keep it as a hobby.

DD
Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a history of not caring about grades, you really set yourself up for coming across as irresponsible when you sing the praises of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just a highschool thing. I finished college with a 3.2GPA which isn't incredible but was definately solid. I will be living at home till Thanksgiving at which point I plan on moving out and getting a full-time job(my current job is full-time but pay is low as it is for school credit).

My original plan was to play poker for fun up until recently, when I began seeing a somewhat-consistent profit. Once I move out and I'm working full-time, I still plan on playing a bit and if it happens to turn into a supplemental income, so be it.
Thanks again for the response,
-Ace
Old 08-06-2005, 04:35 PM

I can relate to the uber-successful parent syndrome.

I need to face facts: It will take a whole lot to change their opinion. They won't truly approve until they see me WIN a MAJOR tournament on TV (e.g. WSOP or WPT). Until then, I'll bring poker up as little as possible (tough when I'm excited about it), and get on with my career.

-ptmusic
Old 08-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Hello,Ace! Start CHARGING UR relatives for UR service.

They should be paying u the same wage per HR. that UR Dad is earning.
Open up a computer information business. U've worked hard to earn ur knowledge--now it's time for u to start ripping ur monetary rewards.
If u enjoy poker NEXT TO BREATHING(Roy West),then invest in UR bankroll,continue to study poker, and continue to play.
HappyPokering,
SittingBull
Old 08-06-2005, 05:20 PM

I didn't read all the other posts, but anybody else think the OP should see if he could get into his Dad's game?

Probably about the same deal as the judges' game in Rounders... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 05:36 PM

I have to admit that the way you came out about it makes it sound like gambling. If any of my friends told me that they had entered a $20+$2 tournament and cashed $12k, I would be far from convinced that he or she was a winning player. I'm not saying that you aren't one, but a 550% gain on your investment does sound, to most people, like luck.

The first time I told my parents that I played seriously, I brought it up by saying that over the past year I'd been playing poker online as a hobby in my spare time, and that I'd been turning a modest profit from it. It could be a difference in the parents, but I can easily imagine that if I'd told them your story, I would get something to the degree of, "Don't let that problem get out of hand, son."

Poker, until now, has always had a bad rap. It was completely different in your parents' generation, so keep that in mind too. They are far more likely to be impressed by consistent earnings and independency than a big score.

When my parents ask me how poker is going (more rarely now than they did when they tought it was a joke), I always say its going good, and I never tell them how much I've been playing for or how much I've won. I measure my success by the quality of my play anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:43 PM

this problem is real easy to fix, since poker is an around the clock HOBBY just continue with your future man and make time for poker after that. then never mention poker to your parents again, you don't have to try and sell them on it some things people will never understand, they are probably set in their ways about this. you are young and you need something to fall back on and you sound like you come from a smart family so i am assuming you are as well.

keep playing and getting better. nice win and congrats!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 AM

You are 22. I'm 19 and if my parent's tried to make me feel worthless for winning $10k in a tournament I'd tell them to [censored] off. Seriously, you're a good player making good money-you don't need to justify it to anyone, least of all your parents.

-SmileyEH