Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Bad time for a slow play?

I agree in general with David here, I think going for slowplay here SHOULD work fine. It's hard to see a player cold-calling a 3.5x the bb pf raise and then only planning on putting more chips in the pot if they hit. I believe that if your opponent had any other hand than a gs straight draw he would have bet at this pot. Open-ended, top pair, complete miss, he would have bet, and you would have had him in oodles of trouble.

You pretty much ran into the only flop where your play doesn't work out, and then the only turn where you really pay for it. Tough luck.

Given the quite loose nature of your opponent, though, I can see making a weak lead at this pot, and hoping they make a move overtop. If they don't you can check the turn, hoping that they read it as, "I had to take a stab on the flop, but I have nothing."
Old 10-30-2004, 03:25 AM

With your two aces you make the deck pretty dead... The question is, what hand is he going to pay you off that doesn't beat you? Are you just praying that he has an underpair and will catch his trips on the turn or river?

You gotta bet out. You don't let underpairs catch trips often enough to make a check here correct - any hand that's going to pay you off has you beat (assuming you check flop and a scary card comes). Anyway, I say you bet out here.

Would you check here if you had 66? Please tell me you wouldn't unless you had a hyper-aggressive opponent.

-Jared
Old 10-30-2004, 04:26 AM

"and my chances of getting more by checking are higher than my chances of losing the pot by checking."

Davidross said this and I think this is the biggest issue here. Everyone has been saying what hands will pay you off that don't have you beat? QUITE a few hands will pay you off if you check this flop and its checked behind other than just hands that have you beat. I agree w/ the slowplay here. The fact of the matter is, his opp. in this hand will bet a very wide range of his hands on the turn and bet enough that he'll have to call with the same range of them.