Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Here\'s a fun one that I played like crap - 54s blind battle

Villain is a regular at 2/4 6m, pretty tight, fairly aggressive, but not good. Probably small winner in the game. This I remembered.

Villain also hates me, always thinks I'm FOS, and is itching to take shots at me because in our first hand played against each other, a few weeks ago, I raised AQ preflop bet a KJJ flush draw board and he called in position, I checked a blank turn and he checked behind, and then I check/called a pot sized bet on a K river to snap off a bluff from his missed flush draw. This, I forgot.

So basically, I thought he was a fairly tight, fairly aggressive regular who doesn't understand things like pot odds, implied odds, etc. and doesn't usually pick the best lines for his hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

TWP ($402)
BB ($405.05)
UTG ($351.83)
MP ($327.62)
Button ($173.61)

Preflop: TWP is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. TWP posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, TWP (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $11</font>, TWP calls $11.

Flop: ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
TWP checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $70</font>, BB calls $370.05 (All-In), TWP ...?

If I remembered that he always wanted to take shots at me, I wouldn't have check/raised the flop. I only did it because I remembered that he was pretty tight and thought he might lay down a small overpair. Anyways, do I call here? What's his hand range? And what line SHOULD I have taken if I remembered that he hated me?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Here\'s a fun one that I played like crap - 54s blind battle

Call, suck out on his aces (barely a suckout when you have 13 outs), then he'll really hate you and you'll never forget it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Ironically, knowing about the feud between you two makes me somewhat more inclined to call. I could easily see this type of play with villain holding AK or KQ, assuming he thinks your c/r is a bluff (and if he hates you he's probably thinking just that).

If I didn't know that villain hates you, I think this is an easy fold, unless I have specific notes telling me he's tricky enough to make an all-in bluff like this. He raised pre-flop and 3-bet-pushed the flop. That screams big overpair....if he was a normal bad player.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM

i don't really like completing here. i'd prefer to raise it.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM

I almost always complete here. Speak more.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM

PokerStove him with TT+ and I think you'll be surprised at the results.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM

As played I'd fold. If he's pretty tight, there is a good chance he's getting it in here with AA/KK or a set. If it's a set, your 2 pair outs and trip outs are no good. Plus, you could be drawing dead to the high end of a made straight, though i doubt he'd preflop raise with 89. The amount of his overbet crushes any odds on your draws such that the only reason to put it in is if you think your hand is good. I don't think it is.

You made an aggressive raise to try to take it down on the flop. It didnt work. I'd treat that raise as a failed blocking bet and fold.

The only other line I see after your preflop call is a flat call his flop bet to see the turn and go from there
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM

Fold.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 PM

Assuming you mean TT+ - all PP, you're still a dog. Not a big dog, but a dog.

If you add in all broadway cards (even if they're just the suited ones) then that changes things dramatically.

Like I said, knowing that he hates you and will play irrationally because of it, significantly impacts my decission.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played I'd fold. If he's pretty tight, there is a good chance he's getting it in here with AA/KK or a set. If it's a set, your 2 pair outs and trip outs are no good. Plus, you could be drawing dead to the high end of a made straight, though i doubt he'd preflop raise with 89. The amount of his overbet crushes any odds on your draws such that the only reason to put it in is if you think your hand is good. I don't think it is.

You made an aggressive raise to try to take it down on the flop. It didnt work. I'd treat that raise as a failed blocking bet and fold.

The only other line I see after your preflop call is a flat call his flop bet to see the turn and go from there

[/ QUOTE ]

given OP's read, villain may be raising preflop with almost any two. 89s is definitely within his handrange.