Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Should I buy into a Main event?

$5k for this particular event? Could you just do 5 $1k events instead? You get quality opponents there that sound like they would be above your normal level.

This is more of an outsider looking in comment than anything else, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM

If you can't win your way in via cash game, tourney or satalite you probably don't belong in the WSOP.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 PM

If you can afford it then take a shot but I think you would be better trying to get through the Satellites or Super sattelites or maybe playing a smaller event (if they have them). From the way you are talking your confidance level is such that you prob wont play your a game anyway, are you prepared to play agressive and perhaps bust out earlier, it doesnt sound like it from your post.

You need experience to get experience but if you are only planning on playing these events every now and again then does it really matter. Learn to beat the satellites regular then start using those "free" places to play at the top level.

Good luk whichever you deceide.

That was a good post PP. There is always layers on layers playing in the big events. He thinks I play like this so...
J Hodges

You have to test yourself everyday.

Do it.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:45 PM

Paul's comments are very close to my experience in this event last year. Weak-tight doesnt work, and I would rather go down swinging than anything else.

Orange brings up another old topic: Say your goal is to get into a $5000 tourney. How many sattelite do you play before you give up? I think McEvoy says 2 or 3.

And while I agree in principle that I should be able to win my way in, I do have a dayjob, a 3 year old, etc and can't spend *all* my time in the cardroom. (See B&M forum for the poor showing at supersats at the Hilton...)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an example:

I'm in BB with AJs, UTG makes it triple the bet.

All fold to me and i call.

Flop AT6 rainbow.

I think he may have AK, but i fire a bet at pot equal to 2 big blinds to see how he reacts.

He comes over the top of me for 1/3 of my stack...i think but have to fold...not many hands i can beat with him basically saying he's got my ace beat. [\quote]

Dude, I may be misreading your post, but it looks as though you severely underbet the flop there.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:26 PM

I would recommend playing in a few $500 through $2.5k pro tournaments before spending money to buy into a $10k multi-day tournament. Playing against aggressive pros is much, much different than playing in local tournaments. Also, playing in a tournament with deeper stacks and longer rounds also takes adjustment. If there is a WPT event in your area prior to the WSOP try to play in some of the prelim events. Otherwise, either try to get into the main event through a sat. or play some preliminary NL events and if you either cash and have the money to get into the main event or if you feel confident in your chances after playing with pros then and only then would I suggest you consider buying in.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Hey Scoot-

Yeah the event I'm talking about isnt WSOP, its the WPT event here in Reno. I am planning on playing a couple prelims, and have a nice ROI on the single tables they are running.

Main event is $5000+$100.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is "afford" it (you won't be homeless if you pay for the event) and "afford" it (the 10,000 is absolutely meaningless to your life).

I would suggest if it's more of the former, than the latter, you should reconsider and instead satellite it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Can afford it; can't afford it.