Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Default AK Problem

I play it correctly before the folp but get in trouble after. when the flop board isn't to terrible I will bet if I raised pre flop, and call a moderate bet if I just called pre flop. My problem is this; if I flop an ace or flop two pair, It's hard form me to get away. Any suggestions. I play mostly MTT's and have gotten knocked otu a few times b/c of this hand. Have also doubled up a few times.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: AK Problem

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is this; if I flop an ace or flop two pair, It's hard form me to get away.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the shallow structures of most online MTTs, this is not a problem. you shouldnt be trying to figure out how to get away in these situations -- you should be trying to figure out how to get your opponents to put all their chips in.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM

what about in deep stack tourney when someone is betting heavy w/ no made flush or straight?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about in deep stack tourney when someone is betting heavy w/ no made flush or straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think in that case you should be able to get away.

its difficult, i know, readless in an online tourney, to figure out if the other guy is just some donk with A8 who doesnt understand that his hand isnt that good, or is a solid player (or a donk, for that matter) with a set.

i think sometimes you just have to submit to the fact that you may be laying down the best when you pair AK and face a high level of aggression on a drawless board. or, maybe not even laying down -- i know a lot of the players in the deep stack NL forums will often take more passive, calldown lines with one pair AK hands against certain opponents.

its a fine line to walk between maximizing value with those hands, and busting to sets and two pair hands. i dont think anyone has the cut and dry answer to it.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 PM

Thanks!!