Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 12:24 PM

Default KJo in LAGgy hand

I've picked up a nice little rush of cards, and I think the table is getting annoyed with my raises because the action has picked up a little bit. Button is aggressive and is capable of an isolation raise. The cap from SB is a little worrisome, but he's also a loose aggressive player (50/20) and can probably cap 99+, AK-AQ, and maybe AJs and KQs (this is a guess - The solid info is that I've seen him 3-bet TT). BB is a super donk.

I considered folding preflop, but I just couldn't resist a 4-handed capped pot for only two more small bets. I'm not sold that my call is right. The plan was to play my pairs very cautiously and to be ready to dump the hand if there's too much action (because I'm likely drawing to 3 outs).

The turn check-raise was an interesting decision for me. Since nobody raised, I figured that nobody had the flush, straight, or set, which means top two pair is probably good. Too aggro?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (18 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 12-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: KJo in LAGgy hand

Looks good all the way through.

You need to river better next time.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM

I think I like check raising the flop better. With those diamonds, wouldn't you want to limit the field? I guess with your relative position to the raiser, that wouldn't work on the flop, but would it work on the turn if you bet and button 3 bet, or is that not a raise you want to see?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Looks good. Im not betting the river from that position. Only one guy more have to check.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:30 PM

I think you need to fold this pf Aaron. The chance that you're dominated between the 3-bet and the cap is way too high. Even if we completely ignore the 3-bettor, given SBs capping range you provided, in an absolute best case scenario there's still only 2 hands (99, TT) that you're happy with, and even then you're just a coinflip. And even in the uncommon occurrence that you're a coinflip against SB you still need to deal with the button. And this is usually going to become a very expensive hand if you're dominated.

This is something Aaron is already familiar with, but I just want to include something for the newer posters here: generally in a cap situation, the big UI overcards go down exponentially in value with rank. This occurs in a capping situation (and not in an unraised pot) due to the rapidly increasing risk of domination. Domination is especially expensive here because your equity is actually much lower than it appears to be when you hit one of your pair outs. You're generally going to need to waste alot of chips to find out your hand is dominated, which isn't good for the winrate.

Note how quickly the number of 'bad' hands for us increases with decreasing rank:

Hand----Dominating Hands----'Dominating' Pair Hands----Total Dominating Hand Combos
AK------0--------------------2(AA,KK)-----------------3+3=6
AQ------1(AK)----------------3(AA-QQ)----------------12+3+6+3=24
KQ------2(AK,AQ)-------------3(AA-QQ)----------------12+12+6+3+3=36
AJ-------2(AK,AQ)------------4(AA-JJ)-----------------12+12+3+6+6+3=42
KJ-------4(AK,AQ*,AJ,KQ)-----4(AA-JJ)-----------------12+16+12+12+6+3+6+3=70

The number continues to increase rapidly after that.

*AQ technically doesn't dominate either of our pair outs, but we're still a 2:1 dog against it.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:50 PM

I like betting the turn here.

I think it's your best chance of folding a lone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Since you checked, I like the c/r.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM

I've been folding preflop when it's two back to me. But, given your read its probably close. I play the rest of the hand the same way.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM

(Grunch)

I never play, let alone raise, KJo from EP.

Then the flop comes and you have TPGK and there is a diamond draw out there and you check/call? What was the thinking on that. You should've started the betting off hoping to raise.

I felt the raise on the turn was risky with so many callers in the pot. The fact that so many people continued to call that raise means you must've been beat by a flush on the river. I'd be extremely surprised if you weren't. Good check on the river, I'd check/call and fold to a raise.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like betting the turn here.

I think it's your best chance of folding a lone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Since you checked, I like the c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I should have said was best chance of folding a gutshot, A6, A9 etc.
If there is one [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] willing to stay to the river, you want all of them to stay.
But there is a slim chance, if there is only low diamonds out, they may fold.
The best hands to try to fold would be gutshot/low flush combos.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Grunch)

I never play, let alone raise, KJo from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 5 handed, very easy raise. I would fold two back to me though. I think when he caps from the SB that is likely something better than 1010. Plus we're probably already behind the 3 better.