Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Default A7s on the button. Bet river w/ ace high

This hand was a few days ago, so I don't really remember the reads. I hate doing this, but I looked back at PT and noticed that at the time I would've at least had PT stats on this guy. So lets say with some uncertainty that he's probably like a 25-35/15-20ish type player. Basically, he's not passive and probably not a total retard either.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets
Old 12-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: A7s on the button. Bet river w/ ace high

i guess you may push out AK high here, but we'd need to see WSD% stats to be sure of that.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't think you are getting a better hand to fold, and I don't think you are getting a worse hand to call. I check behind and hope he was drawing.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:07 PM

I don't know if I like the turn bet.
You only fold out K-hi here but you're already ahead of it.

I think that these spew-plays look quite marginal but are quite frequent and can significantly cut your winrate.
Preflop 3-bettors in these games rarely fold turn on this board.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 PM

He can fold AK or something here if you've been especially tight lately and you think his read on you is that you wouldn't bet at it without a pair.

Apart from this meta-game-ish type of read based on what you think he thinks of you I would check as a default.

I agree with Roy that the turn bet is marginal and I'm a prefect example of his idea of the spew-plays like those significantly cutting one's win-rate (or, in my case, making one a losing player).

A bet is only good here if you have a specific read that he is pretty passive and likely to fold post-flop. Justy based on his pre-flop numbers it seems unlikely that he would be that passive in his post-flop play.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I like the turn bet.
You only fold out K-hi here but you're already ahead of it.

I think that these spew-plays look quite marginal but are quite frequent and can significantly cut your winrate.
Preflop 3-bettors in these games rarely fold turn on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was away for awhile, so I'm just reading these now. I'm assuming you think the flop raise is fine, and that you're just advocating taking the free card once I get it right? I guess I was hoping to pound out a bigger ace on the turn, but I think you are right and betting is probably pretty bad.

FWIW, the guy folded to my river bet. So the result was good, but I questioned the play so I wanted to have people take a look at it.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Grunch.

My instinct says he has a medium PP(88-TT) and fears a bigger one from you and is calling you down.

Anyhow on the flop raise i think i peel without a solid read(i.e. We don't know if he bluffs flops, We don't know if he folds flop raises or trys to pot steal(Donk bet)).

Because of the lack of read i want to peel. HOWEVER it does look like a potsteal attempt and raising may give us foldequity and may get us a free turn(Or chance to bet to fold him).

Im happy with your line(But dont bet river) or a C/C flop and turn... River ... probably folding it to another bet unless i think Ace high will win it. I dont think it will.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:44 PM

Why are we raising the flop? I think I just peel here and fold the turn UI.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:50 PM

I only like your line if you think a better ace will fold once you fire a third barrel. If not I'd just peel the flop and fold the turn. SB's 3-betting range has us beat.