Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 AM

Default PLEASE HELP!!!!! Pot Odds Confusion

I am learning pot odds and things associated with them. I always read that the pot odds need to be offering more than the chance of hitting your hand is. I understand this and think I got it down and then i read this quote from an online site and it throws me off. After reading the quote please answer the question below if interested in helping. THANKS

"Now let's say you have 6 outs (6 cards will help you). This means you have about a 13% chance of hitting. If the pot is $90 and you must call $10, you should call because you can call as long as you have at least a 10% chance to hit (10/100, the total pot is 90+10). However, if the bet to you was $20, you should fold, because that would require a 18.2% chance of hitting (20/110)."

I dont get what this is saying. Ok, lets use this situation ^,, if my chance of hitting is 13% doesnt the pot odds have to be offering better? Here the pot offers 10% = 9 to 1 (correct me if im wrong) as to my chance of hitting being 13% or about 6.5 to 1. LOL,, I think i just answered my own question, Please write reply anway in case im wrong. ALSO,,,is this where im going wrong------ I use percentages cuz i havnt learned to convert to ratios yet,,,,, the percentage of the bet to pot is 10% which is smaller than the 13% chance of hitting, meking it look like a no-call, when in reality if I converted it to ratio its actually more, warranting a call????? So do you HAVE TO convert the percentages to ratios in order to make the right decision?????????
Old 12-16-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! Pot Odds Confusion

You're doing the math right, but your conclusion is wrong. If the bet to pot percentage is 10% and your percentage of hitting is 13%, that means you WANT to call, because you'll hit 13% of the time and lose 10% the other 87% of the time.

If your chance of hitting is greater than the money you put in, you should call. Ratios are just a reciprocal of percentages, so the logic gets reversed.

chance of hitting % > bet to pot % -------------------- CALL
pot to bet ratio > not hitting to hitting ratio ------- CALL

Hope that helps....
Old 12-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!! Pot Odds Confusion

Stop mixing percetages and odds.

13% = 87:13 = 6.7:1, thus if the pot is offering 10:1 it's +EV to call