Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Bitter No More? (problems with SSHE starting hand charts)

Sorry, Ed - just being bitter about almost giving up [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

Maybe the games have changed since the book was written, but I have just not had any luck with these guidelines. Some players are a lot worse than usual, others are some seriously decent players for 2/4 or 3/6 trying to move up, and of course you have the LAGs and the trappers.

One of the problems with reading two dozen poker books and applying them all is that when things go south, and you reread them to reinforce your learning, if things still don't turn around, you have to figure out what you read that needs adjustment. That adds up to almost 7500 pages for me - that's a lot of thinking to do.

Now I have normal swings, instead of always winning small or losing big, and I am confident that I should have a positive expectation (at the smaller limits at least), because now I can take my bad beats. I saw a guy raise JJ under the gun the other day, his opponent called with 72o and flopped 2 pair (no fooling), the jacks bet all the way down with an overpair in a heads-up pot, the fish didnt even bother to raise him. When he saw that he had lost, he swore and left the table - when the game was excellent. I used to be like that, thinking I lost my profit for the entire day on a hand like that, now I chuckle and increase my buy-in when I get my better hands cracked like that, since I know that they won't stay lucky forever.

Will keep everyone posted.

- Bitterness is joy with a bad attitude