Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Default $2/4 vs. $3/6? Educate me

When playing live, I always do $2/4 when playing limit games. Tonight I'm going to Atlantic City, and I'm thinking of trying some $3/6 limit, which I've never done before.

I'm wondering what info I should know about ahead of time (e.g. differeneces in rake structure).

I'm also wondering how the players differ between the two limits, if there is an noticeable difference.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: $2/4 vs. $3/6? Educate me

Blinds are 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2

I would NEVER play at 2/4 as the rake eats you alive...3/6 at the LEAST and 4/8 if you are rolled for it.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Usually the rake is something like 10% up to $4 or something, isn't it? Is it the same for all stakes?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 PM

the blinds might be 1-3 not 2-3
Old 12-22-2005, 07:08 PM

Yeah... that's it I think... been a while since I've played 3/6 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 07:44 PM

The rake at 2/4 might be impossible to beat. 3/6 is questionable depending on the competition, but can be beat in the right games. 4/8 is really where the game starts to become beatable from a rake standpoint.

Think of it this way: most places take $4 out of the pot on average. $3 where there is no jackpot drop, but those places are few and far between. Assume a 10BB pot:

2/4 10BB $4 rake = 10%
3/6 10BB $4 rake = 6.6%
4/8 10BB $4 rake = 5%

You would much rather have 5% taken out of a pot as opposed to 10%. If the pots aren't averaging 10BB when the table is abnormally tight, then the % taken out of the pot increases dramatically. Let's say you're on a table where, on average, 4 players call preflop, 3 call the flop, someone fires on the turn, gets one caller, and they both put in one more bet on the river for a showdown. The pot is 7.5BB.

2/4 7.5BB $4 rake = 13.3%
3/6 7.5BB $4 rake = 8.8%
4/8 7.5BB $4 rake = 6.6%

The moral to the story is this: If you're going to play 2/4, do it to learn the game, but don't expect to build much of a bankroll and never play in a tight game. If you're going to play 3/6, go ahead and try to build a bankroll, but choose the right games to do so. If 4/8 is an option, play that instead. The competition is easy if you're a winning player and you can build a bankroll for 6/12 where the rake is now much easier to beat and the competition is still just as silly most times.

That's my 2 cents.

Onaflag...........

p.s. for those who are laughing at a 7.5BB pot in a 2/4 no fold'em hold'em game, sure the pots are a lot bigger, but if it gets even slightly shorthanded, look out rake! And who of us hasn't taken a seat at a tight 3/6 table now and then?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM

You don't have to yell 'BINGO!!!!!" when you drag a pot at a game higher than 3-6.

Okay, now I will get flamed for being a smart alec but seriously folks. If you are playing low limit poker for recreational purposes, don't go nuts about the rake because the other players are so bad, that you can have a really nice evening and probably win a few bucks.

If you are serious about winning money, you have to get up out of the mud as quickly as possible. Always playing with bad players will reinforce or teach you bad habits and the rake will eventually eat your lunch.

I don't know if this post came out like I planned, if you are playing $2-4 with the goal of winning money, don't. If you are playing for fun, then the rake doesn't matter anyway. Your portion of the rake is most likely less than taking the MRS to the movies for an evening.

If you are playing for long term profit, get some more cash and play higher.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Thanks, Onaflag, this really helped answer my question and really put the rake info into perspective. I appreciate your taking the time to write this up for me! I'll let you know how the night goes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Onaflag, this really helped answer my question and really put the rake info into perspective. I appreciate your taking the time to write this up for me! I'll let you know how the night goes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck! And listen to Steamboatin and have some fun!!

Onaflag.........
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight I'm going to Atlantic City

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see how it is sucka.

Blinds are 1/3, so play little tighter out of the SB.